what to do about a sticky steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by arnies81camaro, Sep 28, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Reproduction replacement?

2. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's certainly an option, but my solution was $6

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There 's a cleaner that works great, Arm&Hammer super washing concentrate Sodium Carbonate , you can find it at Family Dollar and other places, I used it and it works
    [​IMG]

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had very good luck with Fast Orange with pumice on my rope steering wheel. Use a toothbrush and liberal amounts. Then rinse with water or if still on the car wipe clean with a damp rag.It has been at least 5 years without it coming back.

I also use it to clean any plastic parts, particularly textured trim parts. Smooth plastic parts I use the kind without pumice. Breaks down all the old dirt and build up.

5. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the idea of shooting a little clear coat on the wheel to hold the oxidization process at bay. My original wheel was in bad shape - I put it in the dishwasher and it looked great, for a few months, then the ooze started coming back.

FunBobby likes this.
  6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't clear it......try the fast orange and/or other suggestions first. Clearing it should be the last resort. As the clear wear away the wheel will get pretty crappy looking.

If you use the dishwasher, make sure the heated dry cycle is off!

7. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It appears that you (and many others) totally missed my point. The purpose for my post was to say, IF you are at the last resort, then shooting clear on it will keep you from throwing the wheel away. If someone has a wheel that can be cleaned in the dishwasher, or using fast orange, or any of the hundreds of other suggestions....then congratulations, your wheel was just dirty. I had one that could be totally cleaned (believe me I got it completely clean many times) then the first time the sun hit it, it began to break down. It's the plastic (petroleum) seeping. I would not suggest to someone that instead of cleaning their wheel, they shoot clear on it.....but right before you throw it away and buy a replacement, it's something to consider.

CDesperado likes this.
  8. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree 100%. My wheel looked amazing clean when I pulled it from the dishwasher. It barely ever saw sunlight, and the ooze came back pretty fast. I didnt even think about hitting it something like clear coat, but I bet it would have helped seal the wheel and possibly slowed or even stopped the re-oozification process.

9. 73RATTYZ28

73RATTYZ28 Veteran Member

I used goo gone it worked so far