What to do?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Pburback, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 73Z

73Z Veteran Member

The LT1 is old news and not worth investing money into. They were ok motors when they came out and run good when they do. The problem is LT1 ignition systems suck the OPTI SPARK is the worst idea GM ever created. So lets put an electrical device that is extremely sensitive to moisture directly under the water pump (not smart). For the same price as a used LT1 motor you can easlly obtain a nice used 4.8 or 5.3. The 4.8 and 5.3’s are much stronger than the LT1 (especially after 2005) and the power potential is far greater. You put a decent cam in a 5.3 and 400 plus hp is no problem and you dont have to pull off the intake to do it. The ignition systems are solid, heads flow great out of the box, no OPTI SPARK, no rocker adjustments, great gasket sealing technology, and a much more plentiful after market. The cost of a holley pan and some swap mounts are less than $500, its well worth the cost. The value of your car will be much greater also with the 5.3, the future is in the LS platform not LT1.

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

Same old argument will go on forever.
    I can do an LT1/4L60E swap for basically nothing, free, with all the supporting parts (wiring, fuel system, cooling, etc).
    Optispark argument has been beat to death, a vented GM opti will be fine, not worth arguing over. Moisture is not the opti killer, its ozone from the HV side, and the vent and fresh air intake takes care of it.
    LS is a better platform to build on. LT for a stock FI engine works great if you dont want to spend a lot of cash.
    Either way its the little things that bleed the wallet dry, start with a donor car and save a ton of cash and grief, its the only way I do it.
    If you want cheap FI get a 94-96 9C1 caprice for $500, take everything you need, part it out, crush whats left and get all your stuff for free (LT1, 4L60E, PCM with no VATS, complete wiring, electric fans, nylon fuel lines, gas tank, etc etc). Easy peasy.

3. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

SBCA, 1999 was the transition year to LS. Not all models of the fullsize truck got the LS. The old body style 1999s "C series", like my C1500, got the same vortec 5.0/5.7 as 1996-1998. Only the Silverado model fullsize trucks in 1999 got the newer LS engines. The C series in 1999 was not a Silverado. You can't look at just the year and assume it's an LS but the displacement should also give that away

The 5.7 truck vortec is an excellent engine. They really do run nice, and the LT1 cam is a great swap into a stock 5.7 for even more midrange punch. If everything was free I'd say go for it. If you had to buy all this stuff you could do an LS swap for a similar price with much more potential, but since you didn't have to pay for it, and it is a great engine, I'd do it. Just make sure that every single sensor and the ecm is wired the same as in the truck, if even one sensor is not hooked up you are going to have error codes.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

This explains the two correct answers. My neighbor as a 1998 truck and the
    pan looked the same as the LT1. I know the Camaro switched to LS in 1998
    so the Wiki page sounded about right to say trucks started in 1999.

I know that, "LT" has been used before too, and guess whats replacing that
    LS platform you guys are so in love with? LT.

"Value" is up to the buyer, the optis go 100's of thousands of miles, LS engines
    rattle horribly from the factory roll up door, early ones leak water into the valley
    knocks sensors, front seals are a bitch to replace ... etc. You are certainly
    welcome to your opinion, but your LS is being replaced by the LT1 .. so your
    "future" was short.

I have two LS1 in the driveway and have had 4 LT1s. Both great engines.

And its always the LS guys that refuse to respect what the LT can do.:rolleyes:

Again .. this explains the two correct answers. Thanks.

Tom

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is true. However, it's just sharing a 2 letter name ID.......and nothing more.
    So if that makes you excited.....I guess "yay you" right ?? :crazy:

The fact still remains that the 2nd generation LT's were abandoned early for a superior motor in the LSx platform.
    Which......ran for 17 years. This new powerplant is sharing absolutely nothing with 1993-1997 LT1's.
    .....other then it's ID name

Who respects slower performance ?? :crazy:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You know what would be the absolute sh*t, put an LT1 in an el camino (or an el caballero)

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Install a jet engine .. its faster! So pointless.

Tom

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The new LT1 engine is only in name, it still shares pretty much the same architecture as the Gen IV, V engines.

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

With 28's......and a UPS theme ?? :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  10. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

^ Oh man...wtf? ^