What to do?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Pburback, Feb 27, 2013.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Could someone else please tell me again that its only a name and not that
    same engine from 1992 re-issueed? Because I am JUST that stupid to think
    that is the case. I mean OBVIOUSLY since I installed an LT1, I am a #%$^&*
    idiot. OK? A $^%*@# IDIOT!

I am getting to be about done with this forum and this mentality.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Absolutely. That tells the ladies in the trailer park that you deliver the goods.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tom, no harm no foul brother.
    Ease up man, we're all just guys in a garage breakin balls for fun.

4. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

If you want a relatively cheap, functional EFI for a fairly mild 350, why not find a TPI system from an '85-92 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette? It has its limitations as far as power goes, but it will support more power than a stock '80 or '81 made, and it makes for a very torquey motor with a ton of mid-range kick. Its a simple, reliable, and fairly cheap system, especially now that everyone seems to be moving away from the Gen 1 engines for the LS engines. Plus, it looks cooler than almost any other factory EFI out there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. BondoSpecial

I have 2 full size chevy trucks w/ the same new engine bottom ends in them, but one is TPI, one vortec. The vortec feels like it has 50 more hp, it's actually a much better engine and EFI.

6. Pburback

Pburback New Member

7. Pburback

Pburback New Member

All I asked is if I should put this FREE '99' 5.7 vortec & 4l60e complete w harness & ECM in my 81Z. It's not gonna be a racecar. I see this as a huge upgrade over the original engine & tranney. I see it as a drop in replacement,headers for a 81Z w a small block will fit ? No buying aftermarket motor mounts,oil pan,etc? I know it's not as desirable as a 5.3 or LSx or whatever,but it's free & it's sitting by my shop. The car was free, I grew up driving the car.I can do most of the work,over a period of time(WORK)! 185 original horsepower or an easy 255 w overdrive for mostly FREE?

8. Pburback

Pburback New Member

I meant that I liked your comment!

9. BondoSpecial

You are going to have to get a Dakota Digital VSS signal box to interpret the VSS signals and use an electronic speedo to read them. You will have to pass the VSS signal through it to the ECM as well. I'm not sure what's going to happen when the ECM doesn't see a fuel level (that is computer controlled on that year) it may throw one or more codes. The truck ECM will throw codes without the steering shaft velocity sensor working (it's used for variable assist power steering on the truck). You may have to have some custom ECM tuning done. The EFI Live I bought to tune this ecm was $900. There are probably things I'm not thinking of that are not going to be possible to incorporate from the truck onto your car that will throw trouble codes. I'd have to go through the entire list of codes and there are thousands. It's not like an OBDI car that can only throw 50 codes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. 79cam6.0

79cam6.0 Veteran Member

www.lt1swap.com has the wiring diagrams for the 5.7 vortec but I'd use a 5.3/4l60e. 5.7 vortec wiring is a PITA, ls wiring is easy. I've done four ls swaps so far.