What to do?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Pburback, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 79cam6.0

79cam6.0 Veteran Member

i have put tpi on a sbc 400, worked very well and tons of power. it had a custom ecm and upgraded injectors too. its now in a 68 chevelle.

2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I say go for it. Especially with it being free. One of my coworkers dropped a vortec 350 into his 78 and even though it wasn't free, he still did it pretty inexpensively. He had to modify his hood because of the taller intake but it performs very nicely. He kept the TH350 tranny though and didn't swap over the modern OD tranny. He almost never drives on the highway though so the TH350 is fine for his purposes. I know my old truck with the Vortec 350 ran like a scalded dog so I can only imagine how quick it is in something 1000 lbs lighter. I'm pretty sure even with his 3.08 gears his would probably still outrun my stock 73.

3. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Listen to him.

Sometimes the cheapest (or free...ist..?) are the most expensive things you can own.

Having partially done a TBI (which is far simpler than what you're looking to do), I backed out half way through the swap. While almost all my parts were also free, the necessary items to make it run the way it should (no codes, proper timing curves and ecm program) added up in a real hurry. By the time I bought a burner, chips, a few new sensors, it wasn't free anymore. In my case, close to $700 for what I thought was going to be a quick free upgrade.

I turned back and went the LS route for other reasons, but case in point, you might just want to check and see all that you will need and add up the costs of all the misc items before you attempt it is all.

Not fun putting a lot of work into something and not have it run properly.

4. 79cam6.0

79cam6.0 Veteran Member

if you can figure out all the wiring, you can get the pcm retuned for $75. its just easier to make the ls harness stand alone than the vortec harness. might really be worth selling the vortex to someone as a direct replacement and getting a 4.8/5.3. I'd use the 4l60e though if your going to swap anyway.

5. Pburback

Pburback New Member

What I'm gonna do for now is strip the Tahoe,leaving as much as the harness connected as possible, take the fuel tank & pump, rearend, fuel lines,etc. Scrap the body &/or frame? Get the engine & tranny out of the Z, start rebuilding the suspension & steering. So on my budget & time to work on the project, by the time I get ready to put a engine tranny in, there will be something new(flux capacitor) out there. I would really like to go the LS/5.3 route. Maybe my friend will come up with 1 of those for free. (They are not stolen!)

6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's too bad you're not local, I am converting my 88 K1500 to be a vortec and 4L60E just like my 99. I would love to buy all of the wiring, tank and all off that 99 truck off you.

7. Pburback

Pburback New Member

Hmmm?!