what transmission?!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by never2fast, Apr 5, 2006.

1. never2fast

never2fast Member

I already have a built th-350 but I want to put an lsx engine into my 1979 camaro, I looked around but didnt see a post about it, sorry if I missed it. Id like to keep the 350 in there if its possible, anyone know of a kit or something to make it work? If not, what is your opinion to go with, the 4l60e or the t56?

2. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might be able to keep the TH-350 in there, but most would suggest going with the 4L60E since LSx engines came with either a 4L60E or a T-56 and the two are matched with each other in a way. If you want to stay in the automatic realm, go with the 4L60E. It has good shift points and overdrive.

3. 79silverz28

79silverz28 Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure....

...that this is no problem. I've seen Turbo 350's attached to LS1 motors.

I thought that you needed a slightly different mounting bracket for the turbo 350 to raise it up to the correct height.

These guys sell that crossmember:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/gforce_double_hump_crossmembers_.htm

Edelbrock also offers a way to use a carb on the LS1 [revised intake], and has the throttle plate so you can hook it up. Anyway, take a look here for an article about it.

http://customrodderweb.com/tech/0510cr_carb/

You can keep your turbo 350, I would if it was already built, why switch right now, you can always do it later.

4. never2fast

never2fast Member

thanks for the help guys!