What Types of Vehicles Last the Longest?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, Jun 11, 2019.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

That there sounds like straight up regurgitated jd power or consumer reports magazine BS. (No offense)
    My work beater (was hand me down from wifey LOL) 03 alero with the 3400 v6. we purchased the car at 78k, have had it 11 years now and it’s at 200k. Can’t complain with only an alt and fuel pump replacement aside from standard maintenance items. (Brakes and tires etc) I have several customers that run rural mail routes - mostly use Buick lesabres and century’s. 3.8 and 3.1 v6 powered....the bodies always give out before the powertrain and usually between 250 and 300k.
    So no I have not an issue with homegrown power trains.

Doesn’t matter if shes got tits or wheels - both are gonna cost you money

2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Lol offense ? None taken

While you were replacing alternators and fuel pumps I was driving my accord for 289k miles and still sold it and made some money on it lolz

jeff swisher likes this.
  3. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

My 1987 Chevy Silverado has 303,248 and the water pump went out last weekend. I did replace the alternator at about 280,000. Other than wear items thats it.

jeff swisher likes this.
  4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

1 alternator, and 1 fuel pump to be clear and the pump didn’t fail, the level sender did. I’ll take that over the 07 accord my buddy has - 62,000 miles and vvt solenoid fails. Honda replaces, worked fine for a few days then code comes back and it runs like you are bouncing off the rev limiter but at 2500rpm. No power, hard to drive, Honda dealer doesn’t know what’s wrong and after hours of “diagnostic time” they still haven’t fixed it and now it’s come to be my problem child.
    My point is all vehicles have their good and bad ones, these “articles” mean jack. They do not accurately represent real life experiences with vehicles and vehicle repairs. I’ve had great luck with my vehicles and I’ve seen others with similar cars have issue upon issue.

5. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

I noticed all you guys with 200k plus miles live where there is no RUST

MANY cars around here get driven to the scrap yard...running fine but unsafe to keep on the road

bodymanbill likes this.
  6. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Mine is a 2010 Accord EX-L. Just turned 195K. I need it until around 250K. I've had to replace a rear shock and front wheel bearings. Besides for that, normal maintenance.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I've taken several GM 4 and 6 cylinder cars and trucks past 200k. Chevy S10 4WD, Chevy Astro AWD, Chevy HHR, Chevy Impala, Pontiac GP, Pontiac 6000, Pontiac Bonneville SSEI off the top of my head.

The Impala and HHR were my company cars. They were handed down to employees who didn't travel as much as I did. The Impala had about 250K when I passed it on a year and a half ago. That guy is still driving it.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I realize that you posted this before my second post, but gramps also lives in MN like I do.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The only in tank fuel pump I've ever replaced was on a Toyota SR5 Pickup at about 145K.

On my list above, the Chevy Impala, S10, Astro, HHR and SSEI all had their original fuel pump, alternator and starter. No AC repairs.

Normal wear parts - tires, brakes, shocks, struts, spark plugs, wires, fluids and filters.

10. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I never pay much attention to these lists. Throw enough money at any vehicle and it will last forever. A friend of mine just bought a Volvo XC60, or something like that. 400 hp, 4 cyl engine with some type of electric motor as well. If this thing doesnt sound like a service/maintenance nightmare, i dont know what one is. I think he sort of knows this as well, since he bought the extended warranty.