What vehicles have 5.7 TBI, roller block and 700r4 that will work in the Camaro?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by KEVS79, May 3, 2012.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there is no way I could have been
    able to do this swap for this $$ with an LS1. We're starting with a 67K mile LT1
    and 4L60E, the parts car gave us most the little parts that eat your budget. My
    LS1 GTO is fun to drive, but then so is my LT1 Impala, and out of all the most
    was my LT1 Z28. I am (obviously) on the other side of the spectrum, I feel the
    LT1 is the MOST cost effective upgrade you can do for a 2nd Gen.

Now the OP is looking at an '84 Suburban motor, kinda makes me feel like I had
    wasted my time on this thread. That wont even have the one piece rear main
    seal - Talk about not a cost effective swap.:rolleyes:

Tom

2. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Sorry to "waste your time". Right now I am just gathering info and weighing my options. I am on a tight budget like most of us. Your info and the others has been very helpful. I just need to make a decision before winter since I plan on doing the reassembly over the winter. Thanks again to all that have contributed!!

3. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

None of these are going to be even remotely plug and play, and honestly very few older junkyard engines of any type are going to run right without a rebuild, so I would pick a system, buy an inexpensive core engine, do a full rebuild on it, and go from there setting the car up to accept it. If you try to plug and play a junkyard setup you are going to be disappointed.

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Sorry if that sounded harsh. I totally understand budgets, thats why I went
    with an LT1, and bought a low miles totalled car to pick clean. It looked like
    a Thanksgiving turkey when it left. ;)

Agreed. Thats why I used "Recycler" and "Craigslist" to find the donor car. I
    can not stress enough that buying a complete running car helps considerably.

Tom

5. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kevin, I am lost, plain and simple. But thanks to your thread, I learned there actually WAS a tbi roller 5.7, not that I'd actually want the 5.7throttle body itself, the quickest upgrade for them is to use the throttle body from the 454(600cfm at the bench) and reuse the 5.7 injector pod.

I feel this is too late, but this is what I was gonna originally say before I knew about the earlier car tbi roller blocks(alot of us truck guys have done this if we're on a heavy budget). If you(or anyone reading this) was dead set on a tbi roller setup that utilized all factory parts, then it would be the 96-99 truck short block, heavily machined 88-95 truck heads(or better flowing car heads, I'm not exactly sure which cars had the better heads), 88-95 truck intake, early to mid-90s 454 truck throttle body, 92-95 5.7 truck injector pod and injectors. If you could get one aftermarket part, it would allow you to use the 96-99 vortec heads with the tbi(vortec to tbi conversion intake manifold; cheap way of making this is to use a q-jet or square bore carb to vortec conversion intake and get the tbi-to-carb adapter plate).

Then if you really wanted to fill the extra underhood space, you could go with a vortec 454 truck long block(including heads), a tbi 454 intake and throttle body, and polish the tbi and intake bores to a smooth finish(Ultimate TBI Mods....google it). If one aftermarket part could be used, either the holley hi-flow tbi, or the conversion manifold for 454 efi to carb(twin-4bbl model) to run twin 5.7 throttle bodies in sync.

Average 5.7 tbi benches ~480cfm.
    Average 7.4 tbi benches ~600cfm.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  6. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

I feel kind of lost myself sometimes!! Who knows what I will end up with:screwup:

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

One major item (which is a no-brainer for me, but might be missed by others)
    is I live in California. A 1978 Camaro is a pollution controlled vehicle here. Its
    not possible to drop just ANY engine into the car like you guys in other States.
    Here, in order to actually DRIVE the car, it must pass the Smog Referee check
    before it can be put back into service. An OBDI swap is easier than OBDII, the
    L$x engines are all OBDII, which ups the ante in O2 sensors/CAT requirements.
    Many guys on this forum are using "truck" motors, that isnt allowed here, donor
    engine must be from a CAR, which only includes light duty trucks in some cases
    but that should be checked first if it complies.

Once I have the EVAP system installed, I will bring it to the Referee, they do
    a visual inspection first, then (if it passes) the actual emissions test.

Many of the builds in this section would not stand a chance of passing, and it
    makes no sense to have a car you can not drive. So you see, a 300 hp LT1 is
    a very economical cost effective swap, in a State where you can not even put
    a 4 barrel intake from a 1978 Camaro Z28 on a 1978 Camaro 305 engine.

Tom

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know what you mean there, my buddy in redwood city has his 80 TA registered to my address in Mississippi and he only has to show proof that he pays a utility bill here, so he pays the water bill($35) the month the license plate is due for renewal. $35 to pretty much do whatever you want with your car would be worth it to me!!! He can run around breaking all sorts of emission laws and not get in trouble due to them having to honor our local emissions laws(or lack thereof). ;)

9. 79CamaroZ28

79CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

Actually.... My bone stock 91 RS came from Factory with roller cam and Its a TBI motor.... I think anything after 87 had roller lifters...

10. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

All cars starting in '87 had roller cams. The trucks used the same blocks as the cars, so they were capable of having roller cams installed like the cars, but GM only put flat tappet cams in those truck motors. Starting in 1996, trucks started using roller cams as well.