What's it going to take to stuff 18x12's in my 73?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Zoomin, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Do I have to go to a 4 link to get it done?

Yes, I want them to tuck and I'm willing to roll the fenders a bit.

2. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

not gonna happen...
    mini tubs and link suspension.
    OR if you are a skilled body man you can split the inner fender well put the car on a rack and pull the quarters out ( stretch) weld a band in the gap of the inner wheel well and roll the fender lip.
    but we have done a few 18X11 with 315 tires leaf springs and rolled lip.

3. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Thanks for the info. I could probably skate by with 315's. Would you happen to know what backspace will work, assuming standard axle width/drum brakes?

Also, since tire size can vary by manufacturer, do you remember what tire make and model aspect ratio was used?

4. 79T/Aman

we use 6 1/4" back space you will need to hammer in the seat belt hump, don't worry if you don't know where it is, it's the first thing the tire will hit.
    we have used BFG rivals and Nittos as well as some customers have used others that are now no longer available in 315/30-18.

Attached Files:

5. 79T/Aman

here is another.
    upload_2019-4-16_14-37-9.jpeg

6. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Exactly what I was needing - thanks

7. 79T/Aman

the way we did it is with PTFB Comp leaf springs and Anti-Sqat brackets, and all these cars are on leaf springs with no cutting of the car ALL bolt on and improved geometry not just for looks. all these cars are from 700 NA to 900HP twin turbo and supercharged.

[​IMG]

8. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

I'll give you a call tomorrow, thx

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You need mini tubs to stick that size of rim and 335s. The largest tire you can really get in there and look right is a 275-285...you can try and stick a 305...315 in there, but watch for clearance everywhere and expect to roll the fender. Someone will always chime in and say that easily fit a 3xx tire, but also keep in mind not all tires are exact regardless of the advertised size. A 305 Nitto is not the same 305 as a BFG tire. If it was that easy, nobody would be mini tubbing.

10. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

I have 275's back there now and they look like there's plenty more room in those wheel wells to me.

IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0040.JPG