What's Missing In This Picture

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Bandit723, Feb 28, 2017.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Stroker Clearance? I've heard it all now. How about kicking the guy in the nuts so he remembers to drill that last hole instead of thinking of pork chops.

[​IMG]

Bandit723 likes this.
  2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Apparently i am not the only one that noticed this. Comments taken off another forum and the response from Moroso...

I ordered a Moroso oil pan. It came with 18 bolts. The gasket has 18 holes. Yet the oil pan only has 17 holes. I emailed Moroso and they said "That is the way the core is stamped on all of our SBC pans. It is omitted for oil filter clearance. If you want to drill it anyway then you can do that but we have not had any sealing issues because of it."

What does a screw and a screw hole have to do with oil filter clearance? Am I missing something?

3. COPO

^^ duh, it's an excuse to cover their azz. How pathetic can they get. Next they'll be pumping out pans with 6 holes, 2 in the front, middle and rear to save $.

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Well neighbors dog wondered into the yard so I stuck my foot up it's rear....I feel better now

5. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sure understand your frustration. Are you getting these pans, the Moroso and Canton, direct from the mfrs. or from a middleman like Summit?
    The Canton pan sounds like someone tried to install it and f@#%ed it up

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

From Summit - Middleman

7. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, Ive seen that before with stuff I've gotten from Summit. Open the box, that's clearly been re-taped, and find something someone tried to use before. When that's happened, I sent it back and either insisted on them sending me an unused item, or went direct to the manufacturer.

I suggest you give Canton a call. When I did I spoke with a guy that was really impressive with his SBC racing knowledge and was quite happy to answer all of my questions.

Also, FWIW, Summit has a pan listed from Canton for our cars that won't fit! I know because I ordered it and the sump was about 2 inches too long to the front. Wouldn't clear the crossmember. That's when I called Canton and got the straight scoop. Plus, they're made in the USA not freaking China! :D

8. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

I did not mean to be "smart" pointing out instructions other than to show there was disclosure of why there was one less bolt hole and the hole was omitted intentionally. It was not poor quality control or execution of production. I'm confident Moroso's management and product development team has installed and verified omitting the bolt hole will not cause a oil leak.

9. COPO

I'd still send it back, it's just not right no matter what they say. I can see a future buckle in the metal where there's no hole from the stress on the holes beside it once bolted up. Was a longevity test done? I thought not.

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

My issue is with the bait and switch marketing...And yes if I would of known it had a mount hole omitted up front I would of never bought this thing to begin with.