whats the best fitting brand fender?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by rtanner, Jun 1, 2012.

1. nicks78camaro

nicks78camaro Veteran Member

I spent about $400/each fender to refinish the z28 fenders I bought for $25 each. To me, it was worth saving the hassle of fitting aftermarket made in China fenders.

2. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies guys! Glad to here about the amd will try them first, I'm paying out of pocket, but really it's a blessing in disguise, car had been painted back original red w black stripes and original flat hood, because everybody talked me out of my motion paint and l88 hood when I was restoring it, and I have regretted it for 16 months, soooo, I just ordered a offy 360 crossram, and vfn l88 hood, going back red w white motion scheme!!!!my tight ass would of never spent the money to change it up, if it had not got hit!!!

3. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

Yeah it's a real 73 type lt z28, so I'm doing the crossram, like the motion z-30 package they showed in thee catalog, think in going to do the huge 350 c.u. Call out on each side of the hood to, like was in that one motion add w 3 camaros side by side!

4. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

It just kills me that in 2012 nobody can make good fitting aftermarket body parts. When I had my first '78 Camaro in the early/mid 90's I bought aftermarket front fenders and rear quarter panels from Keystone, not sure of the brand. I also bought a Harwood 4" cowl induction bolt on fiberglass hood. Everything fit great. We had no issues at all. Just the regular shimming like the factory panels we took off. I just don't get it. It seems like the farther we get away from the time our cars were built, the worse aftermarket parts fit.

NYH1.

5. speedfreak1000

speedfreak1000 Veteran Member

NYH1, isnt that the truth. it just crazy how bad some of this stuff fits. ive been searching down original sheet metal and its a pain around here. i've been looking for a rust free passenger fender for my 81 thats fairly close to me so i can pick it up with no luck. some of the parts my dads got for his 67 impala fit horrible without having to rebuild them.

6. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just throwing this out there... but AMD has a new batch of sheet metal coming out in Q3 of this year (last I heard) and they are using re-tooled machines along with some changes to the manufacturing process.

Based on what I was told, they did this specifically so their sheet metal would be considered the "Gold Standard" for replacement sheetmetal and if it is as good as they say it will be, this should put an end to the fitment issues with repop sheet metal.

7. grog

grog Veteran Member

I only have 1 AMD piece and it fits decent but who's going to say we're re-tooling and they're going to really suck?

8. fnoblitt

fnoblitt Veteran Member

several months back i bought an amd fender thru jegs for the l/s and it fit pertty good.they were out of the r/s and had no idea when the would get another "boat" load. so i bought the r/s from classic int. had to make it fit with a lot of work ! so i would say amd is as good as it gets for an aftermarket fender .