Whats the concensus on the Holley swap mounts/kit?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by DENALI, Apr 17, 2015.

1. DENALI

DENALI Veteran Member

Getting ready to start busting hump on my daughter 78 TA and looking hard at all the options out there for swapping in the 5.3 and 4l60. Leaning towards the BRP setup at the moment simply because there seems to have been so many issues with the hooker stuff being correct or having to modify it etc to make it work/fit properly. I would like to use the kwik performance ac, alt, and ps brackets as I like how they look better than the holley/hooker stuff. I really want to do business with Kieth but not sure I have faith in the hooker parts working without hassle when the BRP stuff seems to be hassle free.

2. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

The Kwik performance Alternator/PS Pump bracket is garbage; the PS pump is mounted upside down and will have all kinds of leaks. I used it, hated it.
    The Holley Alternator/PS Pump bracket is excellent. I have it now.

I have the Hooker swap mounts an headers. The headers are nice. However, the swap mounts move the engine to the driver's side, up a bit and too far back. They claim to be 1"-back, but it seems too far back to me. I plan to switch to Stainless Works headers and other swap mount. I tried the Hooker trans mount too, but it raised the trans too high for my liking. Therefore I now use the G-Force and added a 1/4" aluminum plate to raise the trans a bit further, but not as far as the Hooker trans mount. I estimate the Hooker engine swap mounts raise the engine by 1/4" causing a surprising amount of trouble.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  3. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

I am very happy with my Hooker headers and engine/trans mount. Yes it does move the motor back some and to the center. There is always a compromise.

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm using the BRP swap kit and like it. I'm also using the dirty dingo brackets for my power steering pump and alt. I also like the looks of the LSS Simple brackets.

5. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

My hooker engine/trans mounts worked perfectly. Plan on getting their headers here soon.

6. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I also used the BRP swap kit with Dirty Dingo brackets, and everything fit nice! I really like how the mid length headers with ball and socket connectors worked out!

7. Arad68

Arad68 New Member

What problems/troubles did you have with Hooker engine mounts?

8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Mostly I didn't like them moving my engine back so far compare to my initial 0" position. First that meant a new custom driveshaft and drilling new holes for the trans mount. It alsodidn't leave enough room for the trans dipstick and AN fuel lines between the block and firewall. With my recent LS3 install, I re-bent the trans dipstick tube to come out on the side of the engine. And I switch to AN teflon lines which have a thinner outside diameter.

Moving the engine 3/8"(or so) to the driver's side also caused clearance problems between my PS pulley and the steering shaft. Switched to a different pump which could use a smaller diameter pulley. (Which caused problems with AN fitting clearance to the pulley....)
    Each change in engine position cascades into a bunch of problems.

Of course, if this is your first LS swap, then the Hooker engine position probably will have no more problems than any other position.

9. Arad68

Arad68 New Member

Thanks for your insight. I have seen numerous pictures of your car and read a number of your posts. I am impressed.