Wheel Fitment and Wheel Adapters

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sandiego74, Nov 7, 2018.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm planning on going with the widest tires I can fit under the stock wheelwells of the car, but I also don't mind beating them around with a sledgehammer. It seems some people have tried 18x9.5" wheels with a 6" backspacing (5.5" for some) up front with little to no rubbing.

These are the wheels I want: https://www.performanceplustire.com...romium-black-rim-with-machined-lip/ws:18x9-5/

I'd love to have the money for some actual CCW's, but I don't.

While they have the exact sizes I need, they don't have the right bolt-patterns, and they don't do anything custom. The rears (18x11) won't be a problem, as if I get a 1" adapter, they should fit perfectly. The fronts, however, are the issue.

There are two backspacing options I can get. I could go with the 6" option, which would be perfect size-wise, but the bolt-pattern is incorrect. I know some people get away with the 5x4.5" wheel on a 5x4.75" hub, but I autocross this car and drive it hard, so I don't really want to risk trying that (unless, with good ARP studs, you guys think it would be okay?). The second and more viable option is to get the wheel with 6.625" backspacing and get an adapter. Question is, do you guys think the 18x9.5 wheel would fit with a backspacing of 5.625"? Do they make adapters less than 1" thick?

I would gladly experiment, but I don't want to have to keep paying shipping and restocking fees, and most adapters are custom and, therefore, cannot be returned. Thank you!

2. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I wouldn't run a 4.5 pattern wheel on a 4.75 especially if its lug centric.

What about an adapter for the rear and a different pattern hub for the front?? Maybe a second pattern can be added to your current hub?

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but I wouldnt try to adapt wheels that don’t fit your car. Driving it around I can see how people make it work, but for drag racing, Autocross or spirited driving the last thing I want to worry about is sheering off wheel studs and losing a tire.

There is one thing that has helped me buy stuff over the year...Credit! My Summit Racing Credit card has given me the flexibility for 6-12-18 month financing with no interest. PayPal credit has done the same thing! I have Forgelines on my car I bought during their sale and used PP credit. Never did I think I could ever afford Forgelines. Not saying you should go that direction, but an option to get what you want and what will fit and be safe.

4. badazz81z28

Not to mention...It is that time of the year (Nov Black Friday). Hit up Matt at MCB and ask for a Forgeline Quote for your desired wheels...You might be surprised.

https://forgeline.com/wheel/md3p/

5. sandiego74

I didn't think about that, but do they make hubs with different bolt patterns? I've got the C5 spindles, so maybe there's a company that makes C5 hubs with a different bolt pattern?

I was skeptical about it, as well, but I've found plenty of people doing this exact same thing, even with these exact wheels, in autocross and haven't had any issues. I am not fixed on this idea, so if it won't work, I won't be upset. Thanks for the input, though!

6. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

You could use 5th Gen Camaro hubs, 5x120 and go look for some BMW wheels, lots of choice with this bolt pattern and then adapt the rears, I wouldn't adapt the fronts but that's just me, finding offsets that we can work with is difficult with our cars, good luck in your search.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

My opinion is that you just have to save up tour money .And get the correct size wheels for your car,

8. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Or a machine shop can modify a set. I wouldn't be afraid of using a proper spacer or adapter setup provided its using quality components but once you add that to the price of the cheaper wheel can you get a bolt on option for a little more.

9. badazz81z28

Looks like Jegs has 30% off their brand of Wheel. If your car isn’t mini-tubbed and running the stock frame, I wouldnt go crazy on tire size. A 17 or 18x9 in the back is plenty and 17 or 18x8 in the front with a 245 or 255 tire.

10. sandiego74

This is exactly what I was thinking, honestly. If I spend the money for quality adapters, I might as well spend money on better wheels. I’m still debating it. I just don’t want wheels that I’m not in love with. I’ll just end up wanting to get rid of them sooner or later.