Wheel Fitment and Wheel Adapters

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sandiego74, Nov 7, 2018.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Seems like a lot of trouble for cheap wheels. I am reading about hubs. But you still have a problem with rear wheels. although I would not be scared of hub centric adapters.

Have you looked at the latest rocket wheels?

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Precisely my issue with it, as well. I don’t like how cheap they are, and it does seem like way too much effort just for cheap wheels.

However, the fact that someone else already ran the exact same wheels with adapters in several seasons of autocross gives me hope. His car, though, is a Corvette.

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

How about some pre owned wheels ?
    Wheels have a terrible resale value maybe find some Camaro 70-81 wheels on Craigslist or eBay ?

4. sandiego74

I pulled the trigger on the wheels and some cheaper adapters to test fit them. If they fit, I'll buy some quality adapters. If they don't, the store I bought them from has a great return policy, so I'll just get some custom wheels that I know will fit.

As for clearancing the wheel studs for the adapters, I have ARP studs on the rear, but not the front. Should I also put ARP studs up front? Better to be safe, than sorry, I suppose.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I run ARP 1/2” studs in the back but the factory 12mm in the front.

6. sandiego74

That's my current setup, as well.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i may be a little biased here as a Tool & Die & mold maker....but i have machined more than my share of rotors and axles for different bolt patterns. ;) usual charge is $75 a pr... unless your going 4 lug to 5 lug ... $150 pr for the rotors as there is always a rib in the way requiring machining of all 4 ribs to maintain balance.

8. sandiego74

Here's the XXR 531 wheels. Didn't fully get to fit them, as I don't want to cut my studs yet for the 1" adapters, but they seemed like they'll fit. The fronts, surprisingly, look like they'll fit better than the rears. Fronts are 18x9.5" with a 6.625" backspace (5.625" with adapters) and rears are 18x11" with a 6.75" backspace (5.75" with adapters).

I'm going to get tires for them and see how they fit properly. If they don't fit, I'll sell them and buy proper-fitting wheels.
    IMG_3870.JPG

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  9. sandiego74

Finally got some time to put them on. I put ARP studs on the adapters themselves because I didn’t trust the ones that came on them, and had to do some experimentation and massaging of the seat belt humps, but they fit! Suprisingly, they don’t rub anywhere in normal driving. Can’t say the same about when I start autocrossing with them, though.

I’m not really digging the two-tone, but it’s all they had in the sizes I wanted. I’m either going to go with all black or paint the center silver.

D435ACF5-C11A-4F73-8D3C-8642560F23B5.jpeg 1611385A-0B4C-4ECA-9213-0393696F2DF0.jpeg

10. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Damn that looks nice