Wheel Fitment and Wheel Adapters

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sandiego74, Nov 7, 2018.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good the way they are !! I like the two tone.

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Appreciate the input. Twins411 has the car that made me want the look in the first place. Still not sure which I like best: the two-tone, polished, or black. Heavily leaning towards the black.

Here is Twins411's car with the polished CCW Classics.

[​IMG]

And here it is with the same wheels painted black, along with a whole new looking car. One of my favorites on this site, for sure.

[​IMG]

BonzoHansen likes this.
  3. burley

burley Member

I have a 1980 and I want to update my look. I am thinking of some XXR wheels myself. I have some Coy"s right now. And I am not sure of size. It has been so long. I want some 18" front and rear and I prefer NOT to run spacers or any adapters. Can any one tell me exact size wheel and tire I need? And the two above cars look great. And would consider either of those wheels. Here is a picture of mine. Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

4. sandiego74

XXR wheels do not, unfortunately, come in our bolt pattern, so adapters are a must. I don’t feel all that comfortable running them, either, but I’ve got ARP studs, so I’m hoping they should be fine. There are plenty of other people who have used them with zero issues.

The wheels on the car above are CCW Classics, the wheels I really wanted, but cannot afford since they’re around $900 a piece for the sizes I wanted.

Good luck finding similar wheels, though!

5. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I get why you're leaning toward one color. Two-tone makes it looked a little dated.

So, would 6.0" backspace work out back, or is 5.75" the max?

And you made no mods front or rear other than beating the rear seat belt hump? I eliminated mine.

6. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Attached Files:

7. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Vision Torque on my 78 TA and 79 Camaro 5.5backspace on the rear 18x9.5 with 285x35x18 no rubs on the TA stock tubs 18x11 with mini tubs on the Camaro

Attached Files:

8pack likes this.
  8. sandiego74

Exactly. To me, the two-tone makes the cheap wheels look even cheaper.

6.0” backspacing, I believe, is ideal, but, as in my case, 5.75” works as well. 6.0” would have been better, as I’m afraid the tires will rub along the fender lips in autocross, but I’m not too worried about it. I’m going to continue to use my old set of wheels and tires for autocross while I test out the capabilities of this new set going around town.

9. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Thx. I can get 6.0" and do a .25" spacer if need be. I raced on spacers similar to your adapters - 1" in front, 1.5" out back - for years. Lighter car (~2400lbs), granted, but only 4x100 (hub-centric) on 17x9 rims. No problems.

[​IMG]

10. sandiego74

Exactly. I’ve heard from and met quite a few people that have also raced on them with great success. We shall see.