Wheel Fitment and Wheel Adapters

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sandiego74, Nov 7, 2018.

1. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Over flat, I like gloss. Satin? And I think your photo location is sweet, dude!

Your prior post puzzled me. Assume you're not seriously questioning powder coat durability versus paint...?

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was puzzled by it as well, believe me. Up until a few days ago, I thought powder coating was the best, most durable way to paint wheels. However, after researching around, everything I read said otherwise.

Satin would be perfect. Flat looks too cheap, and gloss looks too flashy.

3. sandiego74

Update:

Still no rubbing, thankfully. Haven't driven the car to work yet, due to the consistent rain here, but I'm hoping they do well on some hard-cornering on/offramp testing.

XXR 4.JPG XXR 2.JPG

4. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Did you get a chance to drive it more yet?

I hadn't really focused on searching for wheels until I saw your thread - I'll be using junk rollers until the car is painted. Had no idea how limited our options are if we stick with the stock 5x4.75" (5x120.67mm) bolt pattern, or at least how many more options there are for 5x4.5". Did you consider doing 5x120mm, or do you come down on the side that says that's a no-no? Lots of conflicting opinions about lots of things on the boards...

5. sandiego74

Not yet. Didn’t get to take it out this weekend. I’m going to try this upcoming weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes.

This whole idea actually stemmed from the 120.65 vs 120 bolt pattern debate. Originally, I had seen some 5th Gen 1LE wheels I really liked and was wondering how they’d fit, but I ended up siding with them being trusted. Then I read about the controversy behind wheel adapters, but the advice was more black-and-white, with people either saying, “don’t trust them,” or the others saying, “I’ve used them for years autocrossing/off-roading and never had an issue.” I figured I’d try the adapters and see what the fuss is about. I had a lot more trust in the adapters than I would mounting 5x120 wheels on a 5x120.65 hub, though there are people who have done it.

6. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Another question: Were you able to cut your wheel studs flush with those 1" spacers/adapters? Or are you relying on voids in the mating surface of the wheels to clear the studs, which stand proud of the spacers/adapters?

7. sandiego74

I did cut the studs, and used a Dremel to do so. It was quite easy.

8. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Sorry - cut flush, or they still - even after cutting - stick out a bit such that if your wheels didn't have voids to accommodate them, it wouldn't work.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. sandiego74

I cut them fairly flush, if not just a tad shorter than the 1” thickness of the adapters.

10. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Weather has been nice here in LA - not sure about SD...?

Looking at this set of ESR SR12s:

2 @ 18"x9.5" / +22mm/6.11" - 12mm/.47" spacer = 5.64" effective backspace
    2 @ 18"x10.5" / +22mm/6.61"- 20mm/.79" spacer = 5.82" effective backspace

Given the backspacing, which I'm trying hard to maximize, adapters are not an option on the front at least. So I have to have ESR drill them 5x4.75" and use non-studded spacers. Sucks - it will cost me about $300 more to do this versus just bolting on the 5x120mm set that a local vendor offers for $650 cash. Just can't bring myself to take the risk of running an incorrect bolt pattern (though tons of people do). ESR doesn't offer direct customer discounts, at least not when custom drilling is involved, it seems. But the wheels are sweet as hell! Exactly what I wanted and not available from another vendor (that I can find) without paying 3x or even 4x more.

Also surprised at the limited 315 tire options. Looks like I'll be running Azenis as well. Pirelli and Michelin were the only other streetable options I saw, but didn't like the look of either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019