Wheel Fitment and Wheel Adapters

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sandiego74, Nov 7, 2018.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those are nice looking. I’ve seen a very similar style from a few manufacturers. TSW has a very similar style that is actually in 5x120.65, though I’m not sure of the widths they offer.

Anyway, I was able to take the car out and drive a little harsh, and it’s definitely rubbing. If I rolled the fenders, which I might do if I can, I think I’d be safe in the rear. I’m pretty sure I heard the front rubbing around a few hard transitions, but not too bad, thankfully.

2. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

TSW Nurburgring looks similar and is available in 18x10.5, 5x120.65, but offset is a whopping +65 / 8.3" backspace. There are some other stylistic issues with that wheel for me, including the available finishes, regardless. Interlagos is another wheel I considered - same fitment and finish issues. TSW Geneva and Bathurst had good looks and decent fitment, but required adapters because no 5x120.65 offered. I preferred the look of the SR12 over them, very much so. Didn't see any other options in this price range (other than the ESR RF1, which I didn't like quite as much as the SR12).

Regardless, no one tell me about other options because I actually already pulled the trigger on the SR12s.

Hard to roll the front fenders given inner fenderwell. I'm open to cutting and flaring a little, though I'm still in the fabrication and fitting stage. Actually, I think I've secretly been planning on having to modify the front end, maybe including inner fenders. You think it rubs inside or outside, or both?

I cut and folded the rear quarter lip across the entire center of the rear wheel opening when I replaced my quarters - my outer wheelhouse lip was already totally gone so it was easy. That said, that only gives an extra inch of clearance before the inner wheelhouse gets in the way anyway - something I wished I'd realized before I replaced quarters.

3. sandiego74

The fronts only rub, I think, on the rear of the inner fender under heavy load in turns and toward the top of the lip when hitting bumps or braking, but I can fix that slightly with a sledge.

Good luck with trying to get yours to fit! It's just testing and adjusting.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How much negative camber do you have set in the front? It doesn't look like much in the picture of it sitting there at static ride height. The reason I'm asking is that mine rubbed on a few bumps until I added some negative camber and now it doesn't make a sound at all.

5. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

No idea. Need to put it on the ground, thus the need for wheels/tires. Dave at PTFB said to start with no shims then see where you're at. I intend to run some negative camber, for sure.

6. sandiego74

It’s funny you say that, because I’ve been meaning to add, at least, 1 negative degree of camber for autocross. Figured it would probably help with the rubbing, too.

7. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

What's your total negative camber (if I may ask...)?

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not sure who that question was aimed at....so here's my settings:
    I have mine set at -1° camber on both sides, 5.8° caster, and 1/16" toe in. These are my street settings.

9. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I was asking sandiego74, and see now I mistook your post for his, thinking you were asking me. Oops!

What are your wheel and tire specs? What suspension are you running?

10. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

This is no UCA shims - 0* camber according to my angle finder. All PTFB Comp suspension.

[​IMG]

sandiego74 likes this.