Wheel Widening?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by fbodyfreak, Mar 16, 2006.

1. fbodyfreak

fbodyfreak Veteran Member

Does anyone know of a company that widens (aluminum) wheels? I am looking at a set for my 4th gen Camaro, and they only go up to 17x9.5, which is fine for the front, but I would really like 17x11s in the back. If anyone knows of a company that does this, or has had any experience with this (positive or negative) please let me know. Also, if you have any idea on pricing, that would be cool, too. Thanks alot!

2. 79silverz28

79silverz28 Veteran Member

Hmm...

Are these stock SS wheels? In certain years (93-97), and you might already know this, you can get Corvette SS 17x11 rear wheels. I know lots of people that have them.

But, other than that, I actually wanted to do the same thing with my fourth gen, but with 16" wheels, and then tub out the back and put big 16x12 or something crazy like that. At the time, there was place called ye olde wheel shop located in Maryland, I think. They offered to cut and widen the wheel.

Nationally, there is Stockton wheel, http://www.stocktonwheel.com, they will widen out to something like 17inches. They have been around for over 100 years.

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My understanding is that Stockton Wheel only does repairs and widening on Steel wheels not aluminum.

From what I've seen, if the wheel is cast or forged 1-piece, it will take someone with specialized equipment to widen it. I don't have any reccomendations but I do recall seeing a shop do a wheel which had the techniques and tools to do this type of specialized work.

Normally, they would have to mount the wheel in a lathe and cut down the wheel in the center and then machine it to fit inside a larger "shell" of a spun aluminum wheel. The fit is precise and nearly an interferenc fit so the shell is usually heated to expand and the center is pressed in. Once the wheel is trued, then they tig weld it on the backside to the shell and then check the run-out and then re-polish the shell.

Last time I saw this done was back in the early 90's using a forged Ronal wheel into a Billet Specialties shell. The shop took a 16" x 7" and made it into a 16" x 12" and it cost $450.00 per wheel. Shop is long gone and I haven't seen anyone advertise for this kind of services lately.

4. itisthepitts

itisthepitts Veteran Member

I recently used a company out of Plymouth Mich to widen my steel 5spoke Z28 rims 2 ". They were very resonable compared to Stockton Wheel and their
    turn around time was way better. I am very pleased with what I recieved as well as their follow up to make sure that I was satisfied. They also do aluminum wheels.
    http://weldcraftwheels.com

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member