When did shifters get so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by xten, Jun 14, 2019.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

I realize things have gone up, but...My Hurst Competition Plus shifter on my M-21 has been jamming from 2nd to 3rd. Since no one seems to designate a shifter for a 73 Camaro with an M-21 and a console, I called Summit. For the shifter and the adapter kit they quoted me $610.90 with no guarantee that it will fit. They said the shifting rod length may have to be altered, or the mounting plate could need re-drilled. That's probably just as bad as the situation I'm in right now, having to start from scratch. I was looking into rebuilding it. Steel bushings have been installed, neutral gates are in alignment with rod adjustment. Seems to be excessive side to side play when in gear, or is this normal?

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There is probably nothing wrong with the shifter, the bushing is probably worn out and needs replacement, when that bushing wears out, it allows the shift arm going to the trans lever to move to much and will cause a lock up, check the arms looking for movement, if you find it the replace with these, and reset the arms in netral to line them back up and you should be good, get this bushing kit
    https://www.5speeds.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_74&product_id=76
    If it is not the bushing, he also sells a shifter rebuild kit too I believe that will get it back to perfect, as they do not where out , just a couple of shims do, so replace and good to go.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply Dave. As I wrote the bushings have been replaced with the steel ones, and the neutral gate has been realigned, and it still jams. It seems when the shifter is in any gear, it has what I would consider to be a excessive side play. I'm leaning toward the shifter itself. I can drive it all day like a sane person, but as soon as I try to rip second. it jams. Have driven home in second a few times, and it's gettin old. lol Kid has a couple shifters in his stockpile, so I want to take a look at them and see if there's some kind of (thrust) washer between the 2 arms that come off the shifter itself. Mine doesn't have any.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Inflation.......

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe the springs or shims are starting to wear out in the shifter, and I always had bushing on my shifter as well, however, that shouldn't affect side play, they are easy to rebuild, just watch a couple of videos , just a couple of tricky bits that if you can avoid it shouldn't be messed with as they are harder to get them back into place, and I am sure you have the shift stops adjusted correct , if not that can sometimes help them lock up between shifts , sounds like when you bang from 2nd to 3rd you are hanging up , and I remember it being the part that grabs the pawls that can get worn down, when you have the shifter out you should be able to see the wear if that is the issue

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks, Dave. In days gone by I would have tossed it and got a new one. But at that price, I'm checking the options. Gonna go see if stops are set right. Was gonna do that before I came into the office, but phone rang. Figured while I was in here, I'd look at the forum. Thanks again.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you talked to Hurst? I have heard they rebuild them .Just a thought.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

No, I haven't. Thanks, that's a good thought.
    It's sitting on jack stands now, and I just started it. Ripped through the gears hard 7 or 8 times and didn't jam once. It's just waiting for me to drive it on the road so it can jam again so I have to drive back to the shop in 2nd gear. lol. Only thing I did was wind the 2-4 stop about a quarter turn. I doubt if that fixed it. Still seems like too much lateral play in the shifter itself.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

They have rebuilt OEM shifters to like new .From friends of mine .If anyone can do it they should be able to.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Yeah, I would think so. Kid has a couple laying around. I just want to look at his and compare them to mine, to see if they are as sloppy as mine, or check for worn parts before I buy or do anything. It should let me know what's wrong with mine and what parts I need. Thanks again.