Where can you get OEM style engine clamshell mounts?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 76BumblBRally, Aug 9, 2010.

1. 76BumblBRally

76BumblBRally Veteran Member

I am swaping in the LM7 into my car and I am using the trans dapt 4572 mounts so I can use the factory clamshells and upon inspection of my factory mounts the driver side is cracked so I will be needing at least new ones. So... where can I get a set of clamshells that will work with the factory style frame side mounts and the trans dapt 4572 mounts?

2. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

I have a pair you can have, just pay the shipping.

3. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I believe GM still sells new ones. I was able to purchase some for my 77 Nova. Jonesy's deal would be much better though :)

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

rockauto, auto parts store, etc. auto parts stores stock them. Make sure you get the "without HD engine" and not "with HD engine" ones

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

If you are talking about the steel shell that bolts to the engine it is either a dealer or used only part, not stocked at parts stores. Either weld the crack or get some from someone parting a camaro, they are not all the same between car lines.

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gary's-U-Pull-It. Junkyard. There must be a million of them in junkyards.

7. 76BumblBRally

Does anyone know if a company like energy suspension or prothane sells a OEM style zinc plated unit that would match nicely with the energy suspension frame side mounts that I already have?

8. 76BumblBRally

Anyone know of any aftermarket pieces?

9. Philip

Give me a minute to check the part number and I'll tell you what other vehicle, if any, used the same engine mount bracket.

10. Philip

332648 is the part number for the clam shell bracket that bolts to the engine. It was only used on F bodies and the number will be stamped into the side.
    Here is a photo of the one used on A,B and X body cars. It is reproduced, the part number on the new GM part is different, but the mount is the same. If you know some one in GM parts they can probably cross the original number to see if it is available under a new part number.

[​IMG]

Even though these brackets look to be the same as used on every GM car and truck since 1973, they are different. The way the bracket sits on the mounting tabs of the mount is not the same, the heights of the bracket from the through bolt hole to the engine mount surface are different. I have heard of guys cutting the tabs off of the mount to make the bolt fit but the tabs or ears are designed to support the engine weight, the bolt just holds it together. You have to use matching parts that are correct for your chassis to fit the engine in properly.

[​IMG]