Where to buy a crate motor?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by daniel76309, Oct 4, 2010.

1. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have been saving and planning for a LS376-480 crate motor, and am getting ready to move forward with it.

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with any particular dealer for crate motors?

I have had good experience with places like Summit, but I have seen prices up to $1500 lower elsewhere. It isn't ALL about the price, but price is certainly a consideration.

2. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yearone has good budget motors.

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have never ordered from either but Scoggin Dickey has better prices than Summit usually and there is Fred Beans out of Pennsylvania but I am not sure if they do shipping. Fred Beans is RELATIVELY close to me and I would pick up.

That LS376- 480 or LS376 - 515 sound like really good deals. 12 month warranty on either for 450+ hp

5. daniel76309

Thanks for the replies.

Polar Bear, how about picking up an engine from Fred Beans for me and bringing it over to my house? :) Their price is same as Crate Engine Depot and is about as low as I have seen. I don't know about shipping costs though--i.e. if that differs significantly from one place to another.

I think these are a good deal too. I have considered salvage yard "pull outs" and some people do really well with those, but there are lots of unknowns, lots of hassles (especially with a truck engine). In the end it would probably be somewhat cheaper, but if I were doing it, not as good. These crate motors are NEW, all aluminum, proven combination, and as you point out, with a warranty. However, in my case the warranty may be moot if it takes me 2 years to get it up and running. :)

6. PolarBear

You going to pay me to drive it down to Florida? lol

Also If you think you may take a long time to get it running, you may want to consider getting mock up parts for the engine comartment until you are ready for the real thing. I got an LS1 bare block with heads for $100, then I took the block and sold it to someone for $300 and got an LS6 block that had a scratch in one of the cylinders in trade. I also got an LS1 intake (I know the LS376 - 515 is carbed and has a different intake) for like $30. That got me everything I needed to put into my 91 so I can get the exhaust mocked up and ready, and I can get my wire harnes situated without having to lug the real thing in there several times.
    That way once the rest of the car is ready you can get the the real engine closer to the starting time and you still retain the warranty

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  7. daniel76309

Thanks, I actually have given that some thought and I can see your point.

There were a couple of 5.3's locally on Craigslist. Currently there is an iron one for $300, fairly complete. The thing is, by using it as a mock up, it would be extra work doing things "twice", and more importantly, when I am done with it, I would be the one trying to unload it on Craigslist.

I am not sure it is worth the effort it if the warranty is the only consideration. After all, I wouldn't THINK that there would be much chance of a defective engine from GM, but I suppose it could happen.

Things to think about I guess...

8. PolarBear

I guess it depends on the quality of the build you are doing. But if you are going to drop the ~$7,000 (I forget what the 480hp one is) for a new crate motor I sure as hell would want to be driving it during the warranty period.

Like for now I am dropping in the mockup stuff into my 91 GTA because I want to get exhaust done before the car is finished and I may want to weld up some holes and drill new ones, mockup and run fuel lines etc. so doing a mockup now is worth it to me, then when I put the actual engine in I know it is all going to work. I wont have to worry about "my conversion plates wont let my engine go in all the way" and for now I am dropping in a completely stock LS1, mostly because I wont have money to mod it right now and I just want to be able to drive the damn thing, but if I ever want to do more horses it will be really easy since it is already done. Plus if I do have issues with the build it is a lot easier to pull a bare block out than a complete engine, I am going with a non-traditional pan in my case and I may have to pull the engine out a few times to see if it works, I can pick the base block up by hand actually, dont even need a hoist if I dont want to use the one I will be borrowing.

9. zedzed

zedzed Veteran Member

Check gmpartsdirect.com, they have the LSX376 FOR $5559.00, and claim free shipping for most crate motors. I bought my ZZ502 from them seven years ago with free shipping, and had no issues.

10. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

X2 for paceperformance... good service...

However, if I were spending that kind of money, I would look at one of the places that specialize in LS engines and buy a forged long block with a performance heads and cam... then buy a takeout junker just for the accesories and covers... You can get a 408 stroker longblock for $6,800 - http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=45&catid=28