Where to look.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Mar 12, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

A quick question for the GM techs out there. The '04 Impala I got for a work car is turning out to be a pretty good car. Lots of little things that were allowed to accumulate have mostly been easy fixes. One troublesome issue has been the fuel gauge. When first started, it reads full. Within a few moments it drops to zero and the low fuel light comes on. Does this sound like an issue with the sending unit or the gauge itself? I've heard the GM dash clusters have problems but I don't want to pull it and get it rebuilt only to find that isn't the problem. I've accessed the fuel pump and did find a rodent gnawed wire. I fixed that and it didn't make any difference.

I suspect the dash cluster but before I pull it, I want to make as certain as possible. On a related note, can I pull another one from the bone yard and swap in while I get mine rebuilt?

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I know my gauges have stepper motors for all. My speedo flipped out on me and was reading 70 when I was doing 25. Then just pegged out past max. I ordered the kit online but have not done the job yet. Requires desoldering the motor from the circuit board. Kind of a pain. I'll get to it one day.

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sending unit.

You should be able to change the gauge part of the sender itself instead of having to replace the entire fuel pump assembly.

4. ol' grouch

I've changed them before but a new pump is inexpensive and easy to swap out. I have a new pump already, it's just that it reads full for a bit then goes to empty. Usually, when the sending unit fails, it's either full or empty all the time.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fuel gauges are for pussies that like to be coddled. Get a dip stick and call it good. That's what a nanny system resistant man would do.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lol reminds me of 15 years ago taking my buddies blown 63 Nova to car cruises. Cruise for a while and then pull over and shove a cut off broom stick in the fuel cell to see how much e85 it had in it.

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I own all GM products except the 05 town country,don't "trust" the gas gauge on any of them,turn it off at a bit under half-come back and its below a quarter.Stays on full for 150 miles then drops like theres a hole in the tank.Especially troubling when pulling the trailer at 7 MPG and out in the flatlands somewhere.I set the trip odometer for 200-300 miles depending on the mileage it gets, and use the gauge as a grain of salt.I replaced the cluster in my 01 ZR-2 because the odometer died,got one from a local salvage yard,pulled and ready for 35 bucks,didn't need programming hope your impala is the same-Later Steve!!

8. ol' grouch

I think the odometer is in the computer. On late model Mopars it is. I think Fords too. I figure the fuel pump is the original ones with 165K on it so it may be getting to the end of its service life. Before I rebuild the dash, I'll replace the pump. It's just a matter of getting time to do it.

9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I thought you had replaced the pump,my bad-hopefully that takes care of it.The newest thing I own is the 05 t/c,my other ZR-2 blazers are 99/01 and the 99 denali so they are old.Have a 04 Z-71 for trailer pulling but not many problems for me P/O threw mad cash at it for all the usual stuff-Later Steve!!

10. ol' grouch

I have the pump, I just haven't put it in yet. I have to time it so the fuel level is low but I drive a lot and catching it when the level is low and I have time, is touchy. Also, the placement ring didn't want to come loose and I want to make sure I don't break it, or make a spark with open fuel lines. Bad mojo there.