Which Bellhousing ???

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Shiny Red, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Shiny Red

Shiny Red New Member

I'm trying to mate a 04 Escalade LQ9 with a T56. The bolts in the bellhousing that came with the T56 do not match up with the rear lower bolts of the F-Body oil pan. Can a bellhousing from a 04 GTO be used to bolt up to a F-Body oil pan?

2. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

no, the GTO oil pan was different, and therefore I believe the bell housing had to be different to accommodate that. Not 100% certain on that, but fairly sure

3. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

a quick search makes me think the only thing different is that if you use the gto bellhousing, you have to use a gto starter.

4. Shiny Red

Shiny Red New Member

Thanks for the info. I already have a starter for the LQ9, so I guess I'll be looking for a F-Body bellhousing. Anybody have one for sale?

5. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

If you have an F-car oil pan (LS1) and an LS1 T56 bellhousing then they should match up. I'd bet you have the wrong bellhouing. Maybe an LT1 unit or something. Get the proper LS1 F-car bellhousing and it should all match up.

...or better yet, get a scattershield for a '98-02 Camaro/Firebird. It will match up to what you have, and contain all the shrapnel should it "give its notice" at some point.