Which highway would you take? Montana to ohio I-90E or I-94E

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Feb 10, 2019.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I fly out on feb 25th to pick up my mustang, want opinions on best safest route to come back on? its RWD with all season tires, im hoping theres no cold front and snow involved, but cant be sure. Im going from Bozeman Montana to Dayton ohio. Any places worth stopping along one of the routes, cool places to sight see? Here's 2 pics of the overall route.

I will also have to get a hotel or two, no way I will be able to drive 1700miles straight, ive done 1k from Florida to ohio, or ohio to Texas but not a chance I'll be able to do it this time. I already bought my ticket, 200 dollars vs like 600-700 dollar tickets since I bought a few weeks out.

Just have to cross fingers and hope for best weather. Which highway is better maintained/less potholes? I am dreading this drive so bad.... I have wanted a mustang in grabber blue for like 8 years now. 10k off sticker, bit the bullet. Since it has 6 miles on it, any precautions I should take in breaking it in on highway? I am assuming just go up down 3/4/5/6 gears up and down alternating and varying rpms instead of just staying 1 speed entire time for awhile to break engine in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

All I can say is that you're pretty brave. Any of them can be treacherous if it snows. We had a tough trip one time on I-80 with snow and high winds.
    As far as breaking it in, pretty much all of the manufacturers say just drive it. Avoid hard starts and try to vary the rpm.

3. FreedomPenguin

I edited, I had the maps going from my house to Montana, now its Montana to ohio 2 routes now. I drove from Alaska to ohio 4 years ago in middle of winter, actually had a avalanche and got trapped in a town for a few days til roads got cleared out. Was quite an adventure. Did that in a Scion tC lol, couldn't see a thing, didn't see a truck or car for like 6 hours at a time.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The last two weeks have been bad for travel up here. Today the temperature rose to +1. That is the first time we have been above 0 since last Sunday a week ago. And, we have been getting snow almost every day in the last two weeks. Montana hasn't been much better. Either 90 or 94 forces you to go over Bozeman pass, and that can be expected to be a bad trip if it is even passable the day you go. I-94 is a good road when it isn't blocked with snow. It was closed for a couple of days last week, and next week's forecast doesn't really look any better.

5. FreedomPenguin

I will hotel it up if I have to for a few days, I have 2 weeks to hope weather clears up. Is 94 a pretty scenic road, anything nice along the way? Hoping for a heat wave to hit. Really hope so.

I am trying to think of ideas to preserve my paint from there to Dayton, I mentioned collision tape to the dealer and their body shop has it. Should I put some of it on the front ends of my car and impact areas? will it pull paint off when after a few days in ohio?

I am putting PPF on it when I get back, so hoping to not have any bad damage or rock chips. just stay off of semis and keep my distance off cars.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

could take I 90 and pop into Sturgis SD.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

No good scenery on I 94. I 90 has better scenery when it reaches South Dakota, but the Black Hills are mountains so they can be expected to be treacherous this time of year too. That's not where you want to be in a snowstorm.
    Watch the weather, and if the snowstorms to the east continue like they have been the last two weeks, consider going west on I 90 until you get into western Montana where you can grab I-15 south. Then roll south until you get out of the winter weather. By the time you reach Arizona and New Mexico, you will be out of it. It would add another 1000 miles or more, but you would have a better chance of keeping the car on the road and not totalling it the first week you have it. You have enough time to enjoy a scenic trip south, so if the weather is bad up north, go south.
    I wouldn't travel around here right now because it is too dangerous.

8. FreedomPenguin

damn. well fingers crossed, thank you all for the info. this is what I need to know. I will update this closer time to the date.

Anyone here from Bozeman Montana area? If I do get snowed in give me suggestions of places to eat. nomnomnom

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I've been on both routes. Driving across North or South Dakota is flat and boring. Eastern Montana is flat and boring. Yes, there are the Black Hills in SD, but they won't add much to the scenery.

I-90 and I-35 on your proposed route will literally close down in severe weather. They literally have gates that will be lowered to prevent getting on the Interstate. Having said that - I used to travel those roads work day when I was still working for the ACDelco warehouse distributor. I haven't ever been on 94 in N Dakota in the winter time, so can't speak about that. The key here is wind driven snow - white out conditions.

Barring bad weather - the roads themselves are fine as compared to the turnpikes in IL, IN or OH.

10. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dude what would it cost to get it shipped to you? A trip like this in a rear wheel drive car in the dead of winter in those states is just ridiculous in my opinion. As far as scenery goes, good luck those are all plains states so don't expect to see much of anything especially this time of year with snow on the ground.

Shizzle likes this.