Which highway would you take? Montana to ohio I-90E or I-94E

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    ^^^^^I drove to Vegas, took I-80, it was a very boring drive thru Illinois, Iowa, & Nebraska, bit that was in the middle of summer, when it was either corn on one side and soybean on the other, or Vice versa.
    Now it would be just white.

2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    1500 was my quotes to ship, I already bought my plane ticket. the forecast is expected to be 36+ for 3 days that I arrive. which hopefully means theres no snow happening during my excursion.

Say I fly, and weather is decent that day. How long does it take to get out of the dangerous areas/ be in good terrain? if its like first few hours, or half the trip.

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Life is an adventure, you're young and capable. Enjoy the ride man. Be careful and be prepared and have the right stuff with you in case things go wrong. I have no advice on the trip route but sometimes you just gotta experience life.

I expect pictures and posts about it. :)

4. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Personally, I would take I90, but bad weather would affect either highway, so it doesn't matter which one you travel on....
    Just have to hope for good weather. And have fun. :)

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Bozeman, MT to Minneapolis, MN is 980 miles on I-94. After that, it should be warmer unless Wisconsin is having bad weather.
    Bozeman, MT to Sioux Falls, SD is 800 miles on I-90. After that things should get better as long as Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't having a storm.

Either one could be a good drive if the weather decides to be nice. But, on the other hand, either route could easily be blocked with snow drifts.

6. FreedomPenguin

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    800-1000 miles of treacherous terrain. Sounds like fun. Fortunately they are all season tires, theres a snow option that detunes the car a bit. Slow and steady, I am excited to go do this, just blah thinking about this drive. I have plenty of time to do get this done away from my regular life.

Thanks for the info guys! I am taking a point and shoot camera too, computer, etc. I wonder if there will be FM radio/Cellphone signal up in the mountains. better be for my sake and the radio.

Downloading lord of the ring audiobook too, thats an easy 20 hours right there lol.

7. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    I would think once you get below Chicago the chances of bad winter weather drop off drastically but there is still a chance even then. We have had major snows here that time of year or later and I am near St. Louis. As far as the forecast I wouldn't even pay attention to them yet as they have no clue what it will do that far out yet. Once you get inside the 5 day then you will have an idea of what you are up against.

I know $1500 sounds like quite a bit but how much do you think it will cost you for your trip after flight, hotel rooms (especially if you get hung up for a few days), fuel, and food to do this? If you catch weather right it wont be bad but if you hit it wrong this could be one very long, slow, and stressful drive.

8. mlburk

mlburk Veteran Member

Feb 26, 2008
    ohio
    not sure in the end it's cheaper or better deal . I'm with Blue ! This time of the year can't be counted on for sure . Safe journey home

9. FreedomPenguin

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am up for the challenge guys. I will flip a coin. I am going to put a FB post up of any friends who might be along the beaten path in case I cannot travel maybe able to couch surf for a day be cool to see friends from army if anyones along the way.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    If you’re coming through the minneapolis area... I’m just a few miles south of downtown.

Send a PM when you know your timeline, Don.