Which steering column for swap?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by tdm119, Dec 15, 2010.

1. tdm119

tdm119 Veteran Member

I'm doing a 6.0 swap and want to find a newer steering column with cruise and wipers. Has anybody used a later model steering column that fit good?

2. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The GM columns are all about the same length so there are many choices. The critical dimension is from the dash mount to the steering wheel mount. The floor mount plate is also different but easy to change. In 1979 GM changed from a splined shaft to a double D. It just requires a different intermediate shaft to install.
    I installed an 82 Eldorado tilt/telescopic column in my 77 Nova. The shifter nub was removed and filled, the floor plate was changed and then it bolted right in. I like the dimmer on the column and wished I had used one with the wipers too. I have photos if you want to see the install.

3. Philip

My install is in a 77 Nova but the columns are all the same shape from 69 - 89 in most GM cars.

This is a comparision of the dash mounting brackets. The mount to the column is the same but the brackets can vary. The wider one is from the Cadillac, but the Nova bracket was a bolt on

[​IMG]

The floor plate needs to be changed from the column in your car to the new one. Early ones are clamped on, most later ones are just crimped or spot welded on and are easy to remove. The slot on the column is where the nuetral/back up switch was.

[​IMG]

The column I used came from a theft recovery car and had a shifter on it. The shifter handle nub was removed and the hole patched. The shift arm was cut off and tack welded in the park position. This presents one safety issue, accidentally locking the wheel while moving. Just keep this in mind when sneaking in at 3 am, only switch the key to off and not lock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed in my car. The instrument cluster went through a couple of modifications too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The telescopic lever

[​IMG]

4. Philip

Some comparisons. You can see the over all length, and mounting bracket location are the same on these. The Camaro column will be the same as the Nova and Chevelle.
    I also have had columns from G bodies and B bodies that measure the same, years ago I installed a 69 Impala column in a 74 GMC. Lots of vehicles to choose from so shop for free or cheap with the features you want ;)

77 Nova and 82 Cadillac

[​IMG]

77 Nova and 72 Chevelle

[​IMG]

Splined shaft used through 1978

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Double D starting in most GM cars in 1979

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tdm119

tdm119 Veteran Member

I just got a column from a 99 camaro I will post pics when I get started.

6. 1dirtyz

1dirtyz Veteran Member

bringing back this thread from the dead :)
    how about the 99 camaro coloumn ? any updates?

7. tdm119

tdm119 Veteran Member

I am still working on the 99 column. It's taken some work but not too bad. The recent problem I ran into is the factory brake switch won't work. I am going to use a Wilwood porportioning valve with brake switch. The AAW harness is compatible with the 99 column, and I am installing a lq9. I also have a wiper motor from a 99 camaro I will be using. It is all a work in progress.

8. Italstalyon

Italstalyon New Member

Standard Column to Tilt

Not to change the subject but going verticle... I have a 73 Camaro with a standard column and I am going to try updating it to a tilt from a 71 Camaro and in trying this I notice several differences. 1.) Stock is splined and the tilt has two flats with a hole in the middle. (See picture of tilt shaft) So I looked at the intermediate shaft from the tilt and 2.) the connector to the steering box is smaller and won't fit. Also, the coupling at the Bell connection is different. I am trying to adapt this column by changing the Bell Joint and this might work but the Boot is torn leaving me with a couple of questions;
    - Does anyone know where I might get a replacement?
    - Is there a better way to do this that I don't see?
    Appreciating any guidance here.
    Thanks gearheads...
    Italstalyon
    (Dave)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Part of the problem your having is the column you have pictured is not a 71 column, it looks like a 79 and later column. Read the above posts that Philip posted explaining the differences. 70-78= splined shaft, 79-up = double d shaft.

10. Italstalyon

Italstalyon New Member

Column Swap - Standard to Tilt

HEY THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP. I CHATTED UP THE GUY I GOT IT FROM AND HE TOLD ME IT CAME OUT OF A 71 SO THAT IS WHY I AM ASKING. Woops, caps on... So now what? Can it be converted to work or better get th right one? Hummm... Anyone got the answer on the Rubber Boot that covers the grease in the bell joint?