Which to keep: headers or steering?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by daniel76309, Jan 21, 2011.

1. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I encountered an unexpected dilemma with the LS3 transplant and was wondering if anyone has any ideas that might help: I have a rack and pinion, and the steering shaft needs to go where the #3 header tube is. So, I can have either an exhaust system or steer, but not both.

Potential solutions:
    1. Currently there is a u-joint at either end of the steering shaft. I could install a third u-joint and a support bearing so that the shaft can go around the header. The problem is that the u-joint angles woudl be approaching the max allowable, and it seems a little "iffy" to me.
    2. I would feel better about the steering if I could keep one solid steering shaft, but that would mean modifying the headers. I HATE the idea of cutting them up however. They are brand new Dynatech's, and have a beautiful ceramic coating. AND...the deal breaker (I think) is that in order to insert bends to detour the steering shaft, I would have to cut the header tube down where all the tubes come together ahead of the collector, and it would therefore be impossible to circumfrentially weld the new section of tubing in . I was wondering if there is a "band clamp" like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/30730/10002/-1?parentProductId=753274 that could be used to join header tubing (1 7/8") without welding? I did an internet search but the smallest size I could find was 2".
    Any other ideas?

Some pictures to illustrate:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. daniel76309

(Edited: Photos added)

3. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Looks to me like your best option is to put another joint in the steering. Just make sure it's very secure to avoid slop.

4. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

contact Jakeshoe... he did this same mod for a customer about 2 yrs ago..
    he can get ya squared away...
    as I recall he sectioned the header tube to make it work...

5. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

we had same issue on baja truck we put a solid hym joint at the corner and then put 2 little shafts in with u joints on each end we used http://www.borgeson.com/ shafts

6. dcart1

dcart1 Veteran Member

Somewhere I saw one that they had to loop that header pipe out farther, then back in.

7. daniel76309

Thanks for the replies.

This morning I mocked it up using 3/4" wooden dowel, 3 u-Joints, and a support bearing in the middle. There is very little "wiggle room"--the shaft and support bearing have be in just the right place, VERY close to the header, or it binds. I am building a little adjustability into the bracket that holds the support bearing and I may need to ding the header in slightly, but I think it is going to work out ok.

8. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

I have 3 u joints in mine also. The shaft basicly goes straight up against the frame till the last minute.

[​IMG]

9. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

looks good 383 but one question is ur support greasable or rebuild-able or do you just need to replace once in a while the one i made has a grease zerk on the top so it wouldn't get sticky

10. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

no its not greasable. Just a plastic bushing in mine.