Which year 4l60e's are compatible?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by algershick, Oct 3, 2010.

1. algershick

algershick New Member

I've had a 5.3L for about a year that I planned on running in my Third gen with a T56. I think I'm now leaning more toward dropping it into my '79 with an automatic.

I haven't researched this at all since before I was planning on running a manual. What year 4l60e's am I looking for to be compatible with a Gen III motor and wiring? I'm not running a carb or anything. Will the older LT1 era transmissions work just as well as the ones that came with a Gen III motor?

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I was under the impression that the LSx and LTx engines had a different bolt
    pattern, but I was told on this forum the early ones can be made to bolt up.

Tom

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

bolt pattern is not the issue, the electronics are..early transmissions will bolt up minus one bellhousing bolt. I am sure it will all depend on what trans programming you have in your PCM that you use. I would check out LS1tech for more info.

4. omarcamaro

omarcamaro Member

your better off with 700r4 no electronics. a 4l60e is basicly a 700r4 with electronics