Who has a 3" exhaust system (SBC, BBC or LSx) ?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mrvedit, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I currently have a 2-1/2" exhaust system on my '81. It came on the car when I bought it with a SBC and I adapted it to fit my LS2 swap with Edelbrock headers. I am considering the Hooker headers, but don't want to wait until November+ for their entire exhaust system.

The current exhaust has a X-over, but is not mandrel bent and reduces to 2-1/4" in the turns before the X-over. I suspect it is hurting my performance and I want to replace it for other reasons too.

I think my preference is for a steel system that I can weld and not a stainless steel (SS) system with clamps.

The only compatible 3" system I see in Summit is the Pyres Stainless Steel one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-sgf13s/overview/
    Anyone have experience with this company?

Summit sells a 3" non-SS system, but it does not have a X-over: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680102/overview/ Perhaps I could add their X-over: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-642130/overview/

Or is a balance tube as good as a X-over?

A company called torquetechexh.com sells a 3" steel system. Does anyone know of them?

I also want to experiment with muffers as the Flowmaster 40, which I think I have, are too loud. I am consider ones with a valve such as the DynoMax VT.

If you know of other 3" systems, I would appreciate reading about your experiences.

Or tell me that my preference for plain steel is crazy and I should simply get the stainless Pyres system and be done with it.

Thanks!

2. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Also interested in a full 3" exhaust.

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:innocent: I used the summit universal x-pipe in 3" with a pair of flowmaster delta's, turndowns at the rear axles.
    mufflers hang VERY low and it is pretty loud...
    it can be done.

4. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Full size from the collector to the X-over and 2 1/2" back from there should be good for 500 HP in my humble opinion.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3" from the collectors back here. It tucks fine.

Save your money...just buy an x-pipe and mufflers and let a local exhaust shop fab the rest. I think I paid $200 at the shop. Fully welded too.

6. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

7. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Thanks for the info.
    I only checked one local muffler shop and they won't touch the car because it doesn't have cats. Maybe others will look the other way.

My LS2 has lots of mods, cam, intake, tuning, etc and car currently runs 11.8 @117 (with 1.85 60ft due to bad traction). People with similar engines are running much quicker ET and MPH and they all have 3" exhaust, so I am hopeful this will help.

I will check out the Stainless Works thread.

8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Update: I checked out Sevitz's thread; the "collar" clamps for the stainless steel system are actually very nice (nicer than my terrible welding anyway). The clamps are available separately:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-794-90200/overview/

I will consider the Stainless Works headers, but checking their website, their '81 Camaro exhaust system does not have a X-over and is therefore not in the running.

I don't know what type of clamps the Pyres system uses, but if it uses collar clamps, that would work for me.

9. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pypes has slip fit pipes with standard clamps. I have their 3" system with x-pipe and street pro mufflers
    EDIT: but I don't see why you can't use the other clamps. I really like my Pypes setup it fit perfectly, tucked nicely and exited exactly the way I wanted, and it is stainless

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

If you look at page 25 of sevitz thread the pics of his exhaust show an x-pipe.