Who has a 3" exhaust system (SBC, BBC or LSx) ?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mrvedit, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Todd: Thanks for the additional info. Since I didn't know if the Hooker headers have a 3" or 3-1/2" OD collector, I ordered parts for slip connectors for both sizes. Worst case, I have used a local muffler shop for custom parts. (They just won't work on the car without cats.)
    Long term, I think slip connectors will wear out because I remove my headers regularly for experiments. (Crazy, but I seem to have become the 4L60E trans guru on ls1tech and I rebuilt my transmission several times a year to try different parts; and have to remove the passenger side header each time.) So something like a V-Clamp or ball flange would work better for me.

Would you say that the Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers are quieter or louder than Flowmaster 40s?

Newshool72: Thanks for your info too. My understanding is that the length of the collector built into the header is not as important as the length to the first reduction, if any. Ideally one should run full size to at least the X-over. I am running 3" all the way through.
    I didn't think about a 3" system being noisier than a 2-1/2" system as I am trying to quiet things down a bit from what I have. Hmmm. I am considering either quieter mufflers (Dunomax VT?) or installing glass packs before the muffers.

2. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

It is my understanding that the Flowmaster 40s are very restrictive compared to the noise level they produce. If you are trying to reduce noise and increase flow, you may want to consider the mufflers I just changed to. The Pypes Race Flows seem to defy logic as to how quiet they are for the flow. A straight through muffler that is quieter than the same companies Street Flow. I picked up 206 CFMs of flow by swapping and the car is noticeably quieter. You had no hope of seeing through the street flows, but the race flows are a full diameter straight through shot. Its going to be difficult to quiet a 3" system down, so it may be worth a shot to buy a better X-pipe that is mandrel bent and try the race Flows to see if it helps the ET any. Im running an LS3 with a carb intake and a custom grind cam and should be in the 500-530HP range at the flywheel. I did a 12.15 at 112 with a bad converter and a spinning 1.86 60ft. That was with the Street Flows and bad tranny issues. My car has AC, PS, PB , full interior, 3.42 gears, 2004R trans, road racing suspension, big 4 piston 13" disc brakes on all 4 corners. I also had a bad brake drag issue that I have since fixed. I have a new 2004R and a 2800rpm stall ( was a 2100rpm before ), race flows mufflers, freed up brakes now. I expect to easily get into the 11s when I go back. I told you about my setup because I feel your pain about not getting the result out of your setup. I think Im golden now on my 11 sec goal. Hopefully, the exhaust will get you where you want to be.
    Keep us informed !

3. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

newschool72: I plan to place my summit order for the Pyres 3" system with Street Pro mufflers. Part # SGF13S. Are you saying the Race mufflers will be quieter? Part # SGF13R. I will place the order today (with lots of clamps, slip pipes, bare pipes, etc.)

Hopefully you and Todd will give me final feedback before I hit "Submit Order].

4. newschool72

The race flows are Pypes quietest muffler according to them. It was proven to be true for me. I didn't tell my 15yr old son that I changed the mufflers. The first time I cranked the car in front of him after the install, the first thing he said was " WOW, what happened to the car, its so much quieter than usual !" I thought it was quieter, but my ears are not the best. He noticed it right away and wondered what had happened to the car. That's plenty of proof for me. The whole story changes when you matt the throttle ! They wake up and howl at WOT ! But at idle or part throttle they are quieter than any performance muffler Ive seen.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

If you want to quiet the car down some, 3" exhaust may not be the best chice. I've seen a few local cars dyno 500rwhp using a good 2.5" system with magnaflow or other straight through style mufflers. All the issues with ground clearance, proper fit, rattles, etc will be proprtionately more challenging with a 3" system and an off the shelf kit may not filfill all you needs. Good luck if your laying on your back in your own garage trying bolt one up. It will be tough. You will forsure have to cut to length the exhaust pipes before the crossover and weld. Please post pics when you've got it together and a soundclip.

6. newschool72

On the Pypes 2 1/2" X -pipe system, it wasn't the funnies thing Ive ever done will on my back under a car ! I had to cut the X-pipe to fit, and the end of the tail pipes the way I wanted them, but that was it. I didn't weld anything on the exhaust and exhaust leaks are minimal at worse.

7. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

THANK YOU for the advice Newschool72.
    Based on that, I'm changing my order to the Pyres Race Mufflers then. If still too loud, I will add in glass packs. Since nothing is getting welded, muffler changes should be easy.

I will attempt the install in my garage. To facilitate my frequent trans swaps, I welded up 36" jackstands. Hopefully that will give me plenty of room to work, and even for a small TV, beer cooler, etc.

Update: I just ordered the Pyres 3" Race-muffler system, part # SGF13R plus another $400 worth of clamps, extra pipes, straps and other things I might need. It's great that Summit (and Jegs) have such a liberal return policy. The Hooker headers were ordered yesterday and I already have the Hooker swap mounts and trans crossmember. With the wife taking off for a long weekend, I might have the time to complete it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

LOL! That's how to do it. Live under the car until it's done! Good luck man!

9. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been in meetings all afternoon...I'm curious to see what your install/use experience ends up being with your parts combination as I think it represents quite closely the typical type of install that has been going on with this swap application to this point. The component in the photo I've attached is the coupler that we are going to be using to attach the Hooker headers to our exhaust systems. It is a Torca brand coupler that gives you the service benefits of a V-band clamp without the ground clearance penalty that comes with a V-band clamp. These couplers are currently used by OE manufactures on new car exhaust systems (one that comes to mind is the Ford Mustang) but to this point there has been no 3" version of this clamp available in the aftermarket, just a 2.5" version. We worked out an agreement with the folks at Torca to get them to make these in the 3" size so we could implement their use with our headers and exhaust systems, so the only place you will have access to these couplers in the 3" size initially will be through Hooker. We will also be selling them as a stand-alone item, so if you want to retrofit them onto another brand of headers with 3" collectors you will be able to do just that.

To answer the earlier inquiry about the Hooker Maxflow and Aerochamber mufflers, yes, the would both be quieter than a 40 series Flowmaster. The physical height of both those Hooker mufflers prevented their use on the new Hooker 1st and 2nd-gen exhaust systems since we were going for maximum ground clearance. We therefore designed a completely new 304ss absorption muffler for use in both kits (2.5" and 3").

500HP applications can be addressed with a 2.5" system, but around 450 is usually the tipping point I'd switch to a 3" system on a lighter car to prevent having a restrictive system at peak flow. You will have more attenuation possibilities with the Hooker 3" system if you order the add-on rear exit tailpipe kit as it comes with removeable baffles that can be installed to tame the system slightly for street driving.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  10. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ted, it sounds as if you have a plan in place, but just to answer your question, I bought my exhaust (2.5") from Torque Tech many years ago. Fit and quality are excellent. I have since replaced the front section with an X-pipe, but am still using the tail pipes.