Who has actually driven a 10-1 steering box?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Darrel1970Z28, May 4, 2019.

1. Darrel1970Z28

Darrel1970Z28 Veteran Member

Supposedly 10-1 is really only for autocross type use. Supposedly.

BUT, I haven't found a single negative comment yet from guys that bought them for their street cars....

So let the discussion begin.
    -- If you have a 10-1 box what do you like and don't like about it ratio wise?
    -- Would you take it on a 500 mile trip? Cross country?

2. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

I can see this thread go off the rails before it started, I have not driven one as regular street driving so I can't comment on daily usage, I have a customer with one in his Firebird and it's fine BUT... the steering linkage of a Firebird is slower than a Camaro, so my point is unless someone gives you feed back specifically about a 2nd gen Camaro disregard the information.

As far as the wheel getting jerked out of your hand that is far fetched, unless you hit a curb or bad pot hole.
    A jerky steering wheel is due to bump steer issue that should be corrected in the first place.
    you also should not over boost the power steering and make sure to dial in enough positive Caster, remember you are re-engineering the whole steering system, there is not one part that goes unaffected.

BonzoHansen likes this.
  3. Darrel1970Z28

Good point about needing to compare apples to apples.

Yes, I have a 2nd Gen Camaro so 1st Gen and Firebird experiences don't apply.
    Although, I could perhaps switch over to Firebird linkage if I wanted to slow it down some.

Most guys here are good about staying on topic (real world experience with 10-1 steering boxes) so hopeful it doesn't go off the rails.

:)

4. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I have one in my 74. I like it on the street. No negatives.

5. Darrel1970Z28

Thanks Jeep43. Was it more touchy than you expected on the highway?

6. boostedRS

boostedRS New Member

subscribed for info!

7. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor

We have a Turn One 8:1 on the UMI '71 Camaro. We primarily use it as a track car. The 8:1 is pretty brisk.

12.7:1 is considered the standard "performance" ratio.

Having driven both 8:1 and 12.7:1 I'd say if you split the difference at 10:1 for a high performance street car you'd be fine. I've actually wanted to try the 10:1 but we simply haven't yet...

ramey

8. Darrel1970Z28

Thanks for the thoughts! Keep them coming...

9. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Nope, not at all and I have it connected with Borgeson Ujoint steering shaft instead of the rag and all suspension components are new.

10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Hmm. I haven’t. But I have a 12.7:1 and it’s pretty tight. Never have I ever thought - oh I could use tighter steering. My thought would be if you already have 12.7:1 and want something tighter then go for it. But if you have a 14-15:1 and want something better just try the 12.7:1 first. Worse case you could sell it easily for 75pct. It may be harder to sell a 10:1 if you don’t like it.

I have a LOT of autox and road race seat time with a 12:1 ratio in later model Camaro and vettes and never have I wanted faster steering. More grip or less understeer yes. Tighter steering - no.