who is actually running an LS with truck accessories?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ErikNORCAL, Jul 10, 2010.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Bought one of those crate 5.3's last year, doesn't look like I can give this thing away. So.. the next best thing to get it out of the garage is to install it. Lesson learned, a complete pullout would be a better starting point for the average joe. Trying to figure out the cost for all the accessories, options, and what not.
    I know there is a GM kit with the corvette and cadillac front drive accessories but didn't think it would work on a 5.3 without having to change a bunch of other things.

2. ErikNORCAL

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0905_ls_accessory_drive_swap_guide/index.html

well.. here is a good article. Thinking Kwik truck set up total cost may be cheaper because I don't have to convert over to a car type waterpump and balancer to run the GM kits. One thing the article keeps mentioning is that truck accessories (stock, not Kwik) will not fit a 2nd gen camaro because of the low hood line. I know people here have said it does fit. Ideally, I'd like to avoid having to buy a Kwik bracket on the driver side for the alternator and ps. The motor already comes with a factory bracket and I would be about $287 ahead by not having to purchase a Kwik bracket if the factory set up fits.

Since I have to buy everything, price is a major factor for me. I also need to find out the differences/benefits of type I vs type II ps pump.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. Mike1970RS

Mike1970RS Veteran Member

4. ErikNORCAL

Mike, thanks! Second time is the charm, I've actually looked at the post and completely missed the cowl hood comment. I have a fiberglass harwood cowl hood, but it doesn't look as big or high as whats on that car. I compared pics and the harwood cowl has a gradual rise the entire way. griffs car looks like the top edge of cowl is parallel with the top of the fender line nearly the entire way. The harwood hood does not do this at all.

Guess there is only one way to find out now.

5. Mike1970RS

Mike1970RS Veteran Member

Your welcome , that is my plan also . Using a truck 5.3 or 6.0 with a 3 inch Harwood cowl . I went to Harwood site and compared pictures. The hood in the post looks shorter than 3 inch . It looks closer the VFNs 2 inch cowl http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/7081camaro.htm . So it looks as long as you have a cowl hood you should be good to go.

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I ended up switching to F-body accessories, look at some of my posts...if I did it over again I would have just gotten a F-body pull out engine

The only thing that is still "5.3" on my engine is the block, heads, and injectors ...everything else is f-body

7. griffsbombelco

griffsbombelco Veteran Member

your right the hood is actually from up22.com unlimited products its suppose to be a 3.5 cowl but I measured and its more like a 2.5but still fits with about an half inch or so put other than the hood the rest of the acc fits great even exhaust manifold

8. ErikNORCAL

griffs any more progress? Like to know what you plan on doing with the radiator hoses. thats about the only other thing that I can think of being oddball.

If the stock truck alt and ps stuff works, I plan to run a novak-adapters.com a/c bracket for my R4 compressor.

thanks everyone for chiming in. 76camguy, yes, the f-body ls1 looks like the way to go from the start but some of the prices people what is ridiculous for what is now considered an old/older motor. I just checked out your cardomain site, you had clearance problems with the vortec truck intake and that cowl hood? the hood looks very close to what I have.

9. griffsbombelco

griffsbombelco Veteran Member

actually im in the process of fitting my radiator now.. before I decided to buy my lq4 I purchased a aftermarket radiator and fan combo for my bb.. the stock truck hose will work fine with a little trim but my issue is the size of my outlets on the radiator are a lot larger than the lq4 hoses.. so im thinking of just welding on new outlets to my radiator..

10. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro