Who's happy with their TKO 600?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AlbertaZ28, May 26, 2013.

1. AlbertaZ28

AlbertaZ28 Veteran Member

I ask the question because I have maybe 200 miles on mine and it has a lot of gear whine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but seems to go away in 4th and shifts nice. I spoke with the dealer that I got it from and he figures it should get quieter with a 1000 or so miles on it. If it doesn't he said to ship it back this winter and they will fix it. Is it possible for this transmission to be quiet enough for me to be happy with it or should I consider upgrading to a T56 Magnum?

2. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Mine was noisy too. It quites down a little over time. I hate the 6000rpm shift limitation and the 2-3 shift problem gets old. If I could do it all over again, magnum would be my choice.

3. AlbertaZ28

Thanks Protour. Thats my issue, I am already setup for the TKO. If I were to switch to the T56, I'm looking at a new bellhousing and selling my quicktime, modify the crossmember and shorten the driveshaft but I think I could reuse my hydraulic setup. There would be more cost and a huge PITA. I would like to stick with the TKO if it would be quieter. BTW I'm running 4:11 in the rear. I'm glad to hear that yours got quieter.

4. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Love mine, no noise, no shift issues either. It has about 15k miles on it now. The 2-3 shift is easy, just do not try and guide the stick through the gate like a Muncie...just push forward and it will go in smooth every time. I have shifted mine at 6k rpm's, but not often. Last month at the track it was shifted at 6200 with no issues. IMO some of the shift issues may be clutch related.

5. Philip

I need to add that all of the installation and break in procedures were followed to the letter. Including dialing in the bell housing, running the transmission with no load on jack stands and then normal stop and go for 500 miles before wailing on it. The 500 miles was hard, I so wanted to power through the gears right away.

6. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

I've got the older Tremec 3550. Knock on wood the trans works great. I installed new Years ago. I've made about 100 passed on the track with slicks and toured the eastern US quite a bit. The Tremec shifts so much better that the old super T10 or a muncie. I put a Hurst short throw shifter in and that made it even better. Very short tight throw. I did not notice any wine in the gears on mine. Good luck.

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Its a Tremec. They are noisy. I also have a TR-3550 TKO. Loud, shifts great.

Tom

8. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

The TKO instructions say NOT to shift it above 6K, must be a reliability concern. I have taken my car to the strip quite often, the 2 to 3rd shift doesn't want to go (most of the time). On the street its fine.

9. AlbertaZ28

Haha, but there are some people that say theirs are quiet. I would like to be one of those. Thanks for the input. Maybe i just need a louder stereo.

10. Philip

Maybe I need a quieter car, but I do not hear any noise from the transmission. There are several layers of sound dampening under the carpet and I am running a console, all of that can block a lot of noise I guess.