Why 1inch Set Back Mounts?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by cars4life, Oct 12, 2013.

1. cars4life

cars4life Veteran Member

Tod80z28 thanks for sharing the pictures. Do you have any pictures of the tunnel after you modified it for the t56 and did you have to cut into the brace? It looks like if I could get my transmission in yhe same location as yours I could accomplish my goal.

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

No pictures, but yes, I cut the front inch or so of the tunnel brace. That was in 1995 and over 50k miles ago, it hasn't been a problem. If I were to do it today, I would have the open edge of the brace box-welded in, just because I'm anal like that.:)

3. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Unless you plan on locating your engine forward an extreme amount from the original position, cutting into the brace is just part of the swap and if care is taken to box the section back in it is not detrimental to the structural integrity of the body. Even without boxing the section back in, guys like Todd have gotten by without issues. The attached image shows how far back into the brace you will be cutting if you are using the new Hooker 2nd-gen engine mounts. We got a little carried away with the amount we cut towards the driver side, so with care you will be able to cut a smaller profile.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. cars4life

cars4life Veteran Member

It appears to be less cutting to the brace then I thought. The picture shows maybe 1 inch removed. Thanks for the picture toddoky.