Why I Love the LS1: Reason Number 412

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by MikeM79, Mar 25, 2006.

1. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Today I took the 71Z LS1 car for some exercise. The car has not been started nor budged in a little over three months.

I turned the key to accessories on position, listened for the fuel pump to finish its two second power up / pause cycle, then turned the key to "start". The engine was running before I could get my hand off the key. No cranking to fill the carb followed by about 6 stomps on the gas pedal to squirt some fuel to get it going. Turn key --> vroom --> smooth idle.

Yeah, big deal...right? Every new car does the same thing. It just so unexpected from a Second Gen.

2. duece-bigalo01

duece-bigalo01 Veteran Member

so true so true.

3. pio

pio Veteran Member

my 76 do the same..
    and i have the stock 305 engine and carb...
    well..
    maybe it because it have 33k miles...

:)

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

My 70 does this after five months winter storage. Hook up battery, turn on fuel pump, hit the gas and start it up. And no OBDII garbage to mess with. Still, that all aluminum powerplant is nice!

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Now all ya need is a remote start to get the rumble greeting you as you walk out of your house. :D
    Once I can afford one after my install it's going in. lol

FIRST 2nd gen with a remote start EVER!!!!

6. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:rolleyes:

7. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

That is the dilema that I will face over this summer......

For the last 8 years I've had a 94 Z/28 (383 D1 654RWHP, 10.02 @136) and an stock 98 LS1 w/ Vigilante t/c that had 102K on the clock and still dyno'd 292 RWHP and ran high 12's.

Now I'm back to going old school (and down to one Z/28 - my 73) and have the stock block in my 73 Z and I've thrown a 100 shot NK kit on it for good measure but I'm anticpating my old school 350 will not have enough kahonies to suit my needs so I'm either going to throw a 502 BB in it or an LSX powerplant in there. I'm going to see how I like driving a carburated car again and go from there. I had to take my buddys 98 LS1 Z to the store to get some parts over the weekend and it was very nice to turn the key and just back up and go (left some nice posi burns all over the place :D)

I'm currently redoing the entire suspension and putting my 4L60E in from my 94 Z (parted it out)

Aces - Nice ;)

8. cycowrencher

cycowrencher Veteran Member

You're 2 years too late on that. I can't wait to unistall it either. Crappy key fob used start it in the middle of the night.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, a carb car can’t start like that every time, no with gas pedal. 20*, 100*, high humidity, hot engine, cold engine, etc. That is a nice secondary benefit of EFI. Hell, even my CFI car was just reach in & turn the key, regardless of conditions. It may have been 2 seconds behind and not as cool as that 69 427 6-pack Vette (and it was cool), but at a late fall night cruise, mine started easy, while his was temperamental & did not want to idle. :p

10. Supak76

Supak76 Veteran Member

I still like the old school motors...each has its own personality due to the carbs. :)