Why is "Go Fund Me" such a thing these days?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:51 PM.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I really want to know the other perspective. My personal feelings on it can be viewed as harsh, but that's just my opinion. I had a fellow co-worker pass a couple weeks ago. Had a very good job (over $150K) salary. In this line of work, 2 life insurances (nearly $750k) and all the expenses for the burial are covered. Yet a go fund me was established for "future comfort" expenses. I can see doing something nice for the family, but why ask and get nearly $100K in donations? I don't see why people would ask for more money. I would not want my family asking for donations considering what I know they get. So why do people do it?

2. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I agree with you badazz81z28, to many people are looking for a hand out.

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Sometimes I can understand it, last week here in the middle of nowhere Minnesota, an officer was responding to a suspicious person with a flashlight going through backyards. They came across a guy just out of prison, and a fresh warrant for running a meth lab. He had no intentions of going back to jail and the officer was shot in the head. He was airlifted out, and has survived although remaining in critical condition.
    As it was in the line of duty, I’m sure the med expenses will be covered, but until that happens the family hopefully has enough funds to cover things for however long he’s down.

This is a case where I’m ok with donating. Go fund me just makes it easier for people to donate to them.

Now, the ones where like you described above that the dude clearly doesn’t need it, I’d hope the family would return it or in turn donate it to a charity.

4. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

If you are popular or get a story on the news, Go fund me works great. Mostly works for people who don't need it.

5. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Anyone can set one up for anybody. And there is no guarantee the beneficiary gets the money. There have been several that were simply scams and the money was gone and never recovered. I've seen some that were set up because the beneficiary wanted to buy a car, take a trip or some other thing that they simply wanted and needed the money

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Who asked for it? A family member, or a well-meaning friend/acquaintance (a cynic would say busybody)?
    Sometimes people want to do "something," and GoFundMe seems to be that thing these days.

When you get down to it, I suppose this is just less-than-optimal resource allocation, and we live in a world full of that.

7. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I get you badass! The only times I think it makes any sense is if someone is hurt & doesn't have insurance. But somebody that was making good jack and had Life Ins - Go Pound Sand

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's easier to ask for money online than in the flesh I guess.

There's a good reason we banned all gofundme style content from Nz28

Camaro16, BillyDean7173 and Zstar like this.
  9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

People abuse this go-fund-me deal. Oh can I start one cause I want a 1970 SS396/375 HP Chevelle 4 speed with ZL2 hood.

budro6968, Zstar and f-body freak like this.
  10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

It gives people a feeling of inclusion. People who never really socialize but instead hang out on internet media, like Facebook, get a feeling like they are doing something. One thing I like about this site is the exclusion of sites like that.

If I know someone needs help, I'll help personally. Like the local coat tree. I've got some more to take down there when the next cold snap comes through. I saw one coat that was just too heavy for me and I put on the tree being worn by a local homeless veteran who does odd jobs. He lives in his car and refuses to go to a shelter. I felt good seeing it on him and don't want the impersonal feeling of a gofundme donation. Especially since 10% of those funds go to the site.

72'z'steve, Zstar and hot72rod like this.