Why is "Go Fund Me" such a thing these days?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Jan 13, 2020.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

It is popular because people see a way to get free money. As usual scum have taken advantage of something that could be good and turned it into their own little way of doing nothing for money.

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

like most things for every REAL situation there are 3 more scammers... :(
    I see it as the internet version of "passing the hat around". I work for a very Very VERY large company (over 15k people ...HERE) and it is NOT uncommon to have HELP fundraisers WEEKLY! We have an entire office for "HELP". As mentioned before....UNTIL XXXX actually pays the bills the family is spiraling DOWN due to the bread winner is NOT winning the bread....and regular life keeps piling on.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

GFM reminds me of a Dire Straights song...

There are some legitimate GFM deals. But without a thorough investigation of the facts and who is actually running the deal, I'm just not going to participate.

Just my opinion.

f-body freak, dcozzi and John Wright like this.
  4. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

an example of a bad one that I knew about - a friend of mine that I used to work with died Suddenly. He had Life Ins, etc. His Sister started a GFM page looking for $10,000 ( got almost $11,000) to have a proper memorial service for him ( I didn't donate). I went to the Memorial, it was at a Bar and everyone paid for their own drinks ( my Beer Bill was $85 woo-hoo) so she didn't spend a penny!

5. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Guy on the floor here,had the alternator go out on his hoopdie,had his "baby momma" [his words not mine] post a fund thing of sorts for the repair, got more than they wanted with extra "for future repairs" I think some people donate to make themselves feel good about giving back but Its not for me.BTW the guy who can't afford his alternator,has a 1k phone,has more bling/nike apparel than you can imagine-just sayin :cool: Later Steve!!

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

It is my goal in life to never have to ask people for money, obviously except for a house, car etc. GFM pisses me off to no end. I had a friend that was injured at work, he is a paramedic, driving an ambulance. I really dont know his healthcare situation, but i know he did work a few different jobs. I also know that he lives waaaaay beyond his means. I'm single, make good money, live in a decent home. He lives in a much bigger, nicer home, with a wife and somewhere around 7 kids. I am pretty sure i make more than him, and i cant figure out how he swings it. So he gets in this accident, and needs financial help, not real sure why, i mean he works for a hospital, (at least one) and i know they have a good health care plan. Plus, this happened at work, but there is a GFM page set up.

A day later, i just happen to see a post on FB because a "friend" of mine commented on it, his oldest son (still living at home, probably 18) is showing off his new tattoo. Dad needs money for bills, but son is getting tattooed. Idiot.

I do believe there are people out there in this world, that they are so kind hearted, will donate to any cause they feel they want help. Sadly, i am not one of those people.

BillyDean7173 and 72'z'steve like this.
  7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Yep, I wonder what it would be like to be able to live like that. It seems like a good deal but, then my self esteem kicks in.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

There's a guy I've been friends with for over 50 years. We were like brothers when we were young. He was best man at my wedding, I was at his. He made me late for my own wedding (probably not late enough). His parents were millionaires, mine did their best, but struggled the whole time I was young. When he was 15, he told his dad he wanted a body shop. His dad bought a building on a state road and the body shop was started. I was 17, he was 15. We knew nothing. His dad incorporated, set us up with an accountant. Shop expanded, he got a dealers license, he was on his way. We started making money and partying. I quit, he didn't. Bought a big beautiful house, had 3 beautiful daughters. Got into oxy's and that was the beginning of the end. Started losing everything, including his marriage and home. Then he really hit bottom. When he didn't have money for oxy's or opiates, he would huff lacquer thinner. Ended up in the hospital 3 times blind, but the last time was permanent blindness. I tried everything I knew to help, but nothing worked. Things always came easy for him till his parents passed, then things got rough. There's a GFM page for him. Would you guys donate if you were me? I'm really torn here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I don't think money is going to solve his problems, Phil. Especially if he's in control of it. He is an extreme drug addict that's in need of some serious rehab. If someone were to manage that GFM money and put him into rehab in order to save what is left of his life, then perhaps it would be a reasonable cause. Of course, that decision would have to be made after some proof that he sticks with a program and cleans himself up. Time will tell and help you make that decision.

It appears that he made some bad choices which we all do at times, but it also sounds like he squandered his opportunities. Drugs will do that to you and make you a very selfish person. Is that his fault? Was the oxy for pain or recreation?

If he were to get into rehab, I would offer to give him some rides there, take him to pay bills or to the grocery store and be a friend that listens. I know you said you tried to help him before but maybe he wasn't ready for that help. As far as money, I say not right now. Wait and see. There are other ways to help if he truly wants it. Good luck to him.

carr911 and xten like this.
  10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I see the money just going to fuel the habit and will be back to the old ways In no time.