Why is "Go Fund Me" such a thing these days?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

If I start a GoFundMe to help get my car restored would y'all donate??

f-body freak, xten and BillyDean7173 like this.
  2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks Billy. Between jail time for DUI's and other things, he has done mandatory and volunteer rehabs, 12 in all. I haven't talked to him in a while. Called to wish him Merry Christmas, and another time for New Year. He hasn't called back, which is not a good sign. He told me a long time ago that if he doesn't call back it's because he's embarrassed because he's screwing up again.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

You're probably right. He's always thought he was entitled. And I think the downward spiral has already started again.

4. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Wow. Tough story Xten. Good advice Billy. Hope it works out

xten likes this.
  5. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I've got a friend very much like yours, except it's Alcohol instead of Oxys. I've taken him to Rehab more times than I can count. His wife left him and found a nice rich guy. Alan couldn't understand why she left ( married almost 30 years) and why his daughters didn't want anything to do with him. When his Ex and one of his daughters moved to Florida, he followed them - I think he is living at his daughters apartment.

At one time I would have done anything for him but not anymore. If he started a GfM Page, I would not donate

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't donate a dime to any of my good friends via GoFundMe. If I thought they really needed money and I had some to give, I'd give it to them directly. Acquaintances that I know less well but want to help- yeah, maybe.

I sure wouldn't (and haven't- one has called over the years) donate to a person in a drug/alcohol-fueled death spiral. To me, that's like pouring gasoline on a camp fire- it ain't gonna turn out well for anyone in the immediate vicinity.

BUT, from the POV of a potential donor, life can have a way of hardening your heart over time, and I think it's important that we try to resist that. Amongst the clowns trying to fund their 3rd Caribbean vacation or yearly smartphone purchase, there are some truly legitimate needs I think. Those ought to be looked out for and helped as appropriate. And try not to let those who've burned you or inevitably let you down keep you from doing good in the future. I'm probably rambling here, writing advice to myself as much as anyone else.:) But, yeah...

80sz and gramps like this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The people who are getting rich certainty are the GFM owners. What an idea they came up with. I agree, if I wanted to help a friend, PayPal a gift to them or give it to them directly.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

That's a good cause. I take one too....