Wide Band turning help

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Cataldo, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So i got my exhaust done today and hooked up my wideband. (Its a Auto Meter Sport Comp analog fwiw). i was rich everywhere like low 12's So I fiddled with the Idle screws and now im averaging low 14's, right at 14.1 14.2 average but it ranges from 13.9-14.4. That was as lean as i could get it.

Idling at 800rpm (Its a M-20 fwiw)
    its a vortec 350 with a very mild cam, just a step over stock (Its gonna hit the trash can here decently soon, the cam that is).

the Carb:

Holley 1850-4 with a secondary metering block. And when i pull it here in a few imma slap on the quick fuel adjustable secondary assembly. Im going to pull it apart and clean it out right quick as well. If i remember right i have 68's and 76's in it now, so Im thinking dropping the primary down to 64's and see where that takes me, i have several of each set of jets so Im going to really sit on this thing. Does that sound like a good jet change to start with?

I might grab Chuck and have him hold a camera as i run it through the gears.

2. Cataldo

OK, soi tried the 64's and it leaned right up now it hovers 14.2-14.6 so thats perfect.

but one thing i noticed is that is with the idleset at like 14.2-14.6 after say 30 sec or so it starts to climb lean, hovering in mid 15's. whats up with that???

3. Cataldo

check, with cruising at ~75mph what ever 2,500rpm in 4th with 3.23's is, its 12.0-12.4. when imon the gas a little, not opening the power valve, its 14.1-14.5 so thats great. when I am wide open imright back at 12ish.

oh and now at idle my a/f ratio doesn't climb anymore, but it won't go over 14.0 all over the board the highest i can achieve now is about 13.8.

4. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

I won't be any help - that carb doesn't have anywhere to hook up my laptop :crazy:

5. Cataldo

haha fair enough.

driving it around some more its only really rich at real light throttle, basically just cracking open the throttle blades, when i have it opened up a bit more it goes to mid 13's, but when im maybe a little under 1/4 throttle its right at 14.2-14.4.

6. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

sounds like your off to a good start!

7. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

I wouldn't call mid 13's really rich. It is on the rich side, but 11's would be really rich

That said, unfortunately I am no help for Carbs either, so hopefully someone smarter helps you out here.

8. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've noticed with my Edelbrock at mid throttle the AFR is good, but at idle and slight throttle it's rich. Might be something with the cam...but I wonder if it's just a limitation of the carb itself.

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

we messed with the carbs adjustments (a/f screws) and even with 64 primary jetting which i believe is stock and it's still pig rich even after messing with the carb for a couple hours

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might try jetting down the primary side 1-2 sizes, but you might have to live with it as is. If carbs had uber-tight A/F control over the full range, the manufacturers would still be using them on new cars.:)