Wide Band turning help

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Cataldo, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thats pretty much what i have been figuring. My idle a/f seems to change constantly, one time at idleits 12.x then 13.5 then 14 then somewhere else, this is without changing the screws.

I now have 62's in the primary and under light cruise its around 13, then under slightly harder cruise and acceleration its right in the low 14 range about 14.2 14.4. The secondaries were running right at 12dropped them down from 72's to 70's and its right in the 12.3-12.6 range. thats what you shoot for at WOT right?

2. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

You are in the ballpark for sure - the only way to know exactly what AFR a given setup wants is to put it on a dyno and see where it makes the most torque/power (or you can use track numbers)... With the LS stuff, I have found that most of them make the most torque at 12.5-12.6 and the most power at 12.7-12.8 (thats on of the nice things about being able to vary WOT AFR by rpm)...

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

your "tip in" can be manipulated via the acc pump clearance/shooter/cam. The bad part is you MUST tune everything at once. The only reasonable method to tuning to the "number" is you must first be able to duplicate/have repetative data. If you can NOT replicate a specific data point then that datapoint is moot and the tuning info is deemed unreliable. With that said you might try limiting the number of datapoints you are collecting. Like loose the IDLE....go to 1000K then 3k, 5k....no loads...then 3rd gear roll @ 2k and 4k. obviously you must use the same points per test but more importantly if you do the same test 2x.....you need to get like results OR use said differences to establish your % or error for tuning.

4. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good advice. And another example of why I hate carbs vs datalogging EFI. I can sort my datalog in excel. haha