Will a 98 LS1 rad fit in 79z?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by XxWickedz28xX, Apr 6, 2006.

1. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just won an auction on ebay for a 98 LS1 Fan and radiator setup. From what Ive read, the LS1 rads are Aluminum with plastic tanks...right? I cant find much about that swap with the search, its seems it would fit, plus mounting the fans to the rad is done. Any done this?

2. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

yes the tank is Al and fans are plastic which makes the setup very light. They should fit with out any problems. I bought the same combo off eBay and fit it into my 71...how ever I decided to retain my old radiator (brand new) and just use the LS1 fans. I believe Madmike has this setup on his ls1 71.

3. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanx schitzo, but the douchebag who was holding the auction just refunded my money through paypal saying he sold the fan and rad privatley and didnt have time to end the auction. I smell BS, I won the auction for a 98 fan setup, and radiator, all for $130 shipped. He probably didnt like the price, I hate people like that. Thanx anyway.

4. camaronate

camaronate Veteran Member

Man that sucks, I was watching that auction and I thought I recognized the user name. I didnt need the radiator so I didnt bid. Sucks he didnt let it go, that would have been a heck of a deal. nate

5. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

if you still need one keep an eye at the ls1tech.com sales sections....you can get the fans for dirt cheap and the rad to.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I see LT1 fans for $50 out there. A similar radiator sells at rock auto for around $110 new. Search 'aluminum radiator' and user hott71.

Edit: I did it for you

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hows does that LS1 radiator/fan setup stack up against the stock 3 core brass radiator on a car with A/C? My car cools "marginally" with my stock setup sitting in traffic with the A/C for long periods. If the LS1 performs better, I would like to give it a try.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know about the LS1 rad, but Hott sings the praises of that rad above constantly. I'll let you know in July.

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My radiator is brand new(Modine) along with all of the other cooling components(clutch/fan blade/waterpump, etc), so I didn't want to swap out the radiator if it wasn't going to perform any better than the new stuff I have already.

10. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member