Will it Fit?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by niccobucci, Feb 20, 2013.

1. niccobucci

niccobucci New Member

I've looked around and can't really get a clear answer visually nor actually confirm it. I have a 78 Z28 and have a extra Lq4 6.0 from a engine swap, so im wondering if I rebuild it and put l92 heads on and the GMPP L92 carb intake and a holey on there... Will it fit under the factory hood? All the pics i see don't have the hood down....

2. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

I'm betting it could work.....perhaps with a drop base air filter. But I could be wrong......again. Just ask my wife! :)

3. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I have a similar intake on my LS2, but with an EFI throttle body (maybe 1-1/2" tall) and 4" air filter which barely fits under my 3" raised hood.
    So, without a raised hood, I would need a 1" air filter which is what a drop base is. But then add the extra 2-1/2" for a carb and I don't think it would fit.

Having worked on both an SBC and LS2 in my car, my gut feeling is that the intake manifold sits higher in the LS2. My engine sits about as low as it will go.

I could be wrong here, but that is my gut feeling.

4. ryeguy2006a

ryeguy2006a Veteran Member

You can always throw the LS3 intake on the L92 heads. I would go EFI anyway, I won't go back to carbs.

5. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

So true. Why are you considering a carb?

6. niccobucci

niccobucci New Member

Im thinking clearence is going to be an issue to... I like the EFI set up but its alot more expensive....

7. ryeguy2006a

There has been a lot of debate on whether EFI costs more, but you can buy the swap harnesses and computers for fairly inexpensive and have the ability to control just about any aspect of your motor. In my opinion, EFI outweighs the "ease" of using just a carb.

If you are starting with just a long block, it costs about the same to to EFI or Carb, but if you have components going in either direction it could be a potential cost savings. I mean a good carb and intake for LS motors will run you close to $1k by itself, and you will need to get something to control spark. Or you can get an efi intake complete, and harness with computer for around 1k too. It is all about preference though.

8. niccobucci

niccobucci New Member

I'd rather do EFI, I'll just go that route then... Just thought I'd spend 2k for all that

9. ryeguy2006a

Shop around and you can find some good deals.

10. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

The biggest reason to go carb is the expense and headache of the fuel system. And I know guys are going to say, just put an in-line pump and a return line and all is well. Well it is till you lean into a turn with a 1/4 tank of fuel and the car stalls.
    I have had the tank out of my 72 camaro 5 times now, modifying the fuel pick-up system to handle corner Gs. You could spend a grand on a ricks tank, but I hear they will stall you below a 1/4 tank too. A Holley carb has a reserve of fuel in the float bowls that allows the fuel pickup to uncover and continue to run. Fuel injection doesnt. Just my couple pennies.