Wills?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:57 AM.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Anyone have a will? Not a trust, but a will. Want to keep this as simple as possible. Been through an irrevocable trust - not a lot of fun. Cost? Any info is appreciated.

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Brian, the only advice I can offer is to find a attorney that specializes in wills and talk with them to review your options, should not cost much and will avoid any mistakes that you might make by doing it yourself.

Smokey15 and younda like this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Nope. One of my friends downloaded a will package for me a couple years ago. I haven't gotten around to filling it out. She bugs me about it and says it will make life easier for my family. One of these days. Both my parents went without a will. It was a little bit of a hassle. Us kids were not A-holes so it was just a matter of going through the process of agreeing on who would do the executive stuff. Funny, Although I was not the one in charge. I ended up being the ram-rod with liquidating property and removal of stuff on the land. The one in charge kind of crawled up in a ball and could not move forward. 3+ years and nothing done. I got done though in 6 months.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Keep up with changes in your life immediately if you do have a will drawn up. My dad had a will and was in the process of divorce from my step-mother. They hadn't lived together for 6 months. He didn't get around to changing his will. He died and she got everything, and I know that wasn't his intention.
    I have the same will, but I trust my wife more than anyone in my world. But not written in the will are specific instructions (which she has) of what to do with certain items. That way I don't have to call my lawyer for every small detail, only the big ones, like what happened to my dad.
    It was a while back, and very simple, but I believe it was $250.

5. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Requirements for a valid will vary from state to state so you really need to hear from some in NY. Depending what the estate is, who is involved could become an entanglement. Dave's suggestion of contacting an attorney would be the safest bet.

Here in Texas, a 100% hand written will is valid. I have one and so did my mother. It is simple because it does not require all the legal speak. Written in plain English. My situation is not complicated though.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I was executor for my mothers estate. What little there was. Her will was in my lock box and once or twice a month we'd talk about anything she wanted done differently. She prepaid her funeral but lived so long we couldn't get the coffin she wanted so we got as close as we could. She even wrote her obituary. I wasn't sure about the obituary but it's what she wanted so it's what she got. A couple of months and everything was settled and she knew what she wanted to be done would be.

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

When we sat down with a attorney he asked questions that we would have never thought to ask about that could have caused problems if not addressed legally, for the small fee it is well worth it.

xten likes this.
  8. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Agree on the attorney. I have a special needs daughter and that made things more complicated but even simple things can be a problem when it goes to probate.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

this this this this

We just went through hell because a cheap ass fly by night lawyer screwed up my in laws wills. Even the notary screwed up. Note: a notary needs to be in the same state (we live near the PA border and the lawyer told us this would be ok). That nullified the will right off the bat.

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

This reminds me...
    Your wife's folks living down this way passed? Sorry to hear that.