Wills?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Feb 14, 2020.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

No, my wife's father a few years ago.

Next time im down there we need to get together

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Something just occurred to me. LIVING wills. This is what you make in case you are not conscious or capable of making your wishes known. My father suffered a major heart attack at age 70. Had my sister not just gotten him to the emergency room, it would have been a widow maker. When he finally recovered enough to talk, he was PISSED we brought him back. He was in really poor health and was ready to go. He lived another 13 years of becoming increasingly feeble, but when he did go, he had made his living as well as his regular will.

It scared my mother and she had a social worker draw one up for her, although mom checked all the boxes, including mutally exclusive ones. Mom checked DNR (do not resuscitate) as well as asking for CPR. In the end it was moot as she took a nap and had a stroke so she just kept on going.

3. younda

younda Veteran Member

This is the correct answer. Ask your local friends for a good attorney that handles estate planning if you don’t know someone.
    When we did this, we talked about a number of financial topics that I didn’t expect.
    The modest cost is worth it.
    When asking this question to a car forum, remember that your online car friends are from states that may have much different laws as well as varying family circumstances.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Go to an attorney. Pay the cost. Well worth it.
    My aunt living high on the hog off my grandparents money is proof that you need CLEAR LEGAL SIGNED PROOF of your final wishes.

My father in law passed last summer....the estate still has not been settled. Apparently my wife and I have inherited 200ish acres but have no idea what 200 of the 600ish there was to split 3 ways we actually own. The will was not clear.
    Throw in a greedy bitch (his sister in law) and clueless brother and everybody is screwed.

5. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

My parents had an irrevocable trust. It was very straightforward. I was the executor but dealing with my sis.....because of my medical situations, I am not supposed to touch alcohol, but I was ready. She was driving me bonkers. She lived in Georgia and Mom and Dad in Syracuse, NY. She pissed him off so much he told her to fly up so this can be settled.

The trust was written in like 1995. The cost was $5000. What is the cost of a will? Just curious.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My mom had one done for a few hundred dollars. I insisted she have one drawn up because she was inconsistent with what she told me she wanted done from week to week.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Brian

Yes, we have a will. We used an attorney and had 3 meetings with her. Total cost was $1,000.00. A good attorney will ask questions that you hadn't thought of in order to make sure that you are getting what you are paying for.

Not having a will is not a viable option.

Smokey15, bfmgoalie and f-body freak like this.
  8. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

The first will was written in 2004 because of my medical situation. Its still in my ex's name. Obviously, that's why I'm asking the questions. I appreciate the input from everyone.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I assume that will was written when you lived in NY. Anytime you change the state that you are living in, you should update your will as laws vary from state to state, so while you were in FL and still married, your will may not have done what you wanted.

You need to void your current will NOW!

I'm sure you don't want your ex to get any part of your estate, but that is exactly what will happen if you were to die with that will in force.

Your divorce attorney should have told you to change your will as soon as papers were filed.

Smokey15 likes this.
  10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Get something done Brian. I know for a fact it wasn't my dad's wishes for his ex wife to get everything