Winters Sidewinder Shifter

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Bandit723, May 3, 2019.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Has anyone using one of these?

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Was hoping someone used one of these they it is also branded as Art Carrs sidewinder shifter.

0e5680153_1480633242_flush-vs-standard640-x-480.png

3. rlmeskimen

rlmeskimen New Member

Bandit. I have one of these in my Twin Turbo Malibu drag car. Its a manual VB TH350. It works great and easy to get through the gears. What's your questions?

Ryan

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. You did answer one of the concerns that the shifter works well. Guess i should have been more clear on the post is what options are there to fit one of these into a 2nd gen Camaro console if any. Upside if this is a better shifter that the usual offering i would be willing to pull the console to fit this in.

5. rlmeskimen

rlmeskimen New Member

Not sure if its a better offering as the thing is pretty big. I don't have a console in my 81 so I can't comment on how it would fit the stock console. I will say the shifter in my 81, my shifter is a Hurst Pro Matic 2 and the Sidewinder definitely takes more room. The one nice thing about the sidewinder, is its gated not ratcheted, so it is very easy to shift. Good luck.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. Gated i can handle ratchet shifters not so much. I guess for couple of hundred bucks i will give it a go.

7. 80NastyZ

80NastyZ Veteran Member

I know this is bit old but to the OP , I've done it , requires modification to the first mounting point for the console as the cable exits the rear of the shifter ,and the cable has to be looped in the interior and exit along side the drivers seat to work .

Be sure to order the NSS/Backup switch if you need / want backup lights as the shifter is setup from Winters for a NSS only.

The below pic is the only one I had handy , it is before I 3D printed a trim ring, added a button for the trans brake and changed the detent gate to reverse pattern , but you get the idea.

TOM

[​IMG]

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Thank you for posting this. As to looping the cable i am taking it the cable is looped under the rear of the console and going out the original cable shifter hole or did you have to open up a new hole in the tunnel to get a better position to mount the cable to the transmission.

9. 80NastyZ

80NastyZ Veteran Member

No problem ,

I chose to make a new hole , comes out in almost a direct line to connect to the trans under the car , I put a piece of DEI fire sleeve over the cable under the car as it was close to my headers and collectors (BBC) , other than that a bit of fab to mount it to the floor was all it took.

I absolutely love it over the Mega shifter it replaced .

FYI , in case you need it , the 700R4 shifter I used was P/N 177-1-B-8257 , NSS/Backup switch was P/N 1089-29 and the gate plate was made from the original by changing the numbers for the reverse V/B.

Pic is blurry and not the best but it gives you an idea , if you want others I will see what I can find. In it you can see the small notch to the console mount and the location of the hole I made . I put a grommet around where it passes through the floor and seam sealed it.

Very nice car you have BTW !!

TOM

[​IMG]

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Very good example pic speaks for itself, Thank You! again. Part numbers will come in handy. I really like this shifter I did have a Megashifter at one time just dreaded it so i went back to a stock shifter which is ok for normal driving but when slamming gears i have mis shifted a few times "not good".

Thanks for the comment on my car much appreciated.

Mike