WiP LT1 swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by LXDTS, Mar 13, 2006.

1. LXDTS

LXDTS Member

Hey everyone, I started work on installing a built LT1 out of a '94 Z28 into my '79 Berlinetta.

Right now the LM1 is out and I'm working on getting the LT1 into it. The plan right now is to get the LT1 in there bolted to the TH350.

Just to give you all an idea of what the motor is at- in the previous car it dyno'd at ~350rwhp and ~375rwtq (give or take a few hp) and the '94 Z ran 11.60s with nothing done to the trans at all and on DR's
    Now I'm expecting a nice increase since I'm running LT's and a pretty much straight pipe exhaust. I'm doing a few minor mods to hopefully get the car at 400rwhp. The tranny is running a 3200 stall and 3.73's. Coming soon also is a nice set of Cragar lightweight wheels and some Hoosier D.O.T.'s. My goal is to be in the low 11s all motor, which I believe is very doable.

Now that thats out of the way- I have a couple of questions on the swap. Mainly with converting the fuel system from Carb to EFI.
    What, if any, mods will have to be done to the fuel tank? I'm looking at using an external fuel pump and the only worry I have is it sucking in air when I launch. Will I be fine as is?
    Also how hard is it running the return lines?

Thanks for your help, I'll def keep you all updated on my progress!

2. LXDTS

LXDTS Member

Also I'm looking at mounting a CAI above the engine and using a '77-79 Z28 hood scoop to make a sort of RAM Air for it. My only question with that is how would I avoid getting water into the engine using something like that?

Thanks

3. BC's71'

BC's71' Veteran Member

Have you cheked this out?
    http://www.nastyz28.com/~patgizz/EFIguide.pdf

Been awhile since I looked at it, but it explained pretty much everything I needed to know to swap a LT1 into my 71 Camaro (I still haven't done it! ).
    Looking for about 400FWHP myself out of my modified powerplant. :)

A baffling system in the tank would be ideal, but since no 2nd gen ever had a factory baffle system you need to add one which means cutting open the tank and welding. So may be worth getting a new fuel tank for this and then maybe even the third gen camaro sending unit which is a supposed direct fit into the 2nd gen tank. You could run a Walbro fuel pump like many LT1 guys do since the pump will fit in the sender......

Then upgrade to fuel lines that are fatter since your beast will be thirsty and I think the 2nd gen car lines may be small for what you are doing. Plus the LT1 runs at 40+ PSI which maybe is tough on 35 year old lines???

Good luck!