Wiped out a cam and lifters, need to clean out the metal, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Penix, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Penix

Penix Veteran Member

DON'T SAY PULL THE ENGINE!!! That's absolutely NOT an option right now, so keep that in mind please :)

There's not a ton of metal, and it's powdered, not chunky shavings. I'm sure some's gotten where it shouldn't have, but pulling the engine and doing a complete tear down is not an option so I have to flush this stuff out with the engine in the car. I'm going to install some magnets to help catch left over metal, but what should I do about flushing the majority of it out? I was thinking of installing a new filter and using my oil pump primer to run some kerosene or ATF through the engine. What do you guys think? Are there other options?

Any and all input is welcome, but again, please do not suggest pulling the engine!

Thanks guys!

Joel

2. gregpeddie

gregpeddie Member

Id say what you suggested your gonna do, is fine. If thats your only option.

Just so ya know THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME just last summer. I was gonna wash it out with deisel fuel and go, cause it was a brand new engine. NO WAY was I gonna go through another tear down. I had already waited a whole summer for him to get the build done. Plus I was out of money and couldnt afford another tear down.

The guy that built my motor INSISTED that I pull the engine and he said he would go through it FOR FREE!! Good thing I listened cause all the bearing were scored and had to be replaced. And the crank had to be turned.

Good luck with the "wash out" but by now the damage has already been done during the grinding of the parts ( even if its powder and not chunks).

Maybe you will be more lucky than I was, I hope so............

3. 69CHVL

69CHVL Veteran Member

Pull the engine...if you dont dont, you will be doing it anyway and it will cost ALOT more.

4. Simon@London

Simon@London Veteran Member

When you run that stuff thru you should see it it's bringing it all back out with the flush. The block cavities will hide some since they snuck into those spots a while back when it was melting down to powder. Hopefully your rods are ok and you get all of it out. I would say your chances of success are 50/50 but I have another question.

Can you not find a used cam/ lifter set to throw in there for now.

Just wondering if you had other block sitting around and wouldn't have to risk another new set at this point.

Keep us updated Penix.

5. Greezer

Greezer BANNED

hey punk

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. CNC BLOCKS

CNC BLOCKS Veteran Member

Perfect example of if the oil filter bypass was plugged and a good filter was used there should have been no debris going through the bearings.

We had a circle track customer that ate up 4 dist. gears one nit because they did not shim the dist correctly at the end of the year we tore the engine down for a refreash and the bearings did not have a mark on them.

The cylinder walls did show some scratches here and there.

8. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

On the brite side i've done this (without an engine flush) and been fine many times. hopefully you get most of it out and it will still last you a while.

9. TooLateVTEC

TooLateVTEC Veteran Member

You could get lucky by doing it that way, or you could not.

My friend wiped a cam in his 355 and he did what your doing. Stuck a new cam/lifters in it and hes still running it today...7.80's in the 1/8th.

Im not sure if he even did anything besides change the oil a couple times.

10. Simon@London

Simon@London Veteran Member

Did any of those lucky guys have that dissolved metal as visible as Penix has stated. That would give me the Willy's going to start that engine up with new cam set installed knowing that breakdown material was present. I guess it's all about luck and if you can rinse it all out you are definitely lucky.

I wouldn't be winding 3 or 4,000 RPM down the country road for a few days until you know it's going to hold together.

Hearing anymore funny sounds in the first few days will be a big...:whine: