Wiring Help Please!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by gts78ta, May 18, 2013.

1. gts78ta

gts78ta New Member

Im installing a LM7 into a 78 T/A and I have a plug and play harness from PSI. My issues are that the harness came with its on alternator wire built into the harness and I need to know how I tie the exsisting alternator wiring into this, wiring is not my cup of tea Im lost. And I have a Sanden a/c compressor and Im trying to tie this in to existing wiring. Any help would be great.

2. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

I have no direct knowledge, but often new harnesses are set up for later alternators.

Early alts had a connector with the terminals like this ||, while later ones were --. The later are internally regulated and often rated at higher current than earlier alts.

So if the new harness is wired for the newer alt connector, troll the pick a part yard for the correct alt.

Why buy a new harness and start hacking on it. You bought a harness because the old one was hacked.

Goo mad electrical for more info.

3. gts78ta

gts78ta New Member

I dont think I was to clear. I have the right alternator already I was looking for info on what to do with the stock alternator wiring, is it needed or deleted is my question. If needed where and how to tie it in. Thanks for the reply by the way. Im getting close to firing this thing up and trying to tie up lose ends.

4. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you saying that your harness for the alternator has one wire and the alternator accepts three wires? Or visa versa? This is common these days, we can solve this.

5. gts78ta

gts78ta New Member

Yeah my harness has one wire that is in a plug designed for 4. I need to know if my stock alternator wires tie in to this plug somehow.

6. AlbertaZ28

AlbertaZ28 Veteran Member

I have the GM harness, it came with the plug in to alternator and I ran a new 10 gauge power wire. I could have used the factory one but it wasn't long enough. The only part of the factory harness I re-used was the starter wires. It all works without and problems.

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Doesn't sound very "Plug n Play" if you're having this much of a problem figuring out 1 wire. This is probably why you should call whomever you bought the harness from that's not so easy or return it. My .02

My guess is you have a 4 plug weatherpack connector with only 1 wire into it from your "plug and play" harness .....correct ?? If that's the case, it's not going to work correctly. You need 3 wires into a plug for that alternator to charge correctly. It's either a CS130 or CS144 look them up.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  8. gts78ta

gts78ta New Member

Thanks I'll look them up

9. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

I had the same issue on my swap....just plug in the alt, and run a 8ga. wire from the post on the back of the alt to a 30 amp fuse block (local stereo shop), then from the block to the + post on the battery. Works perfect, and you can delete all the original old alt wiring. (mine only had 1 wire in the plug and play harness as well. I am reading 14-16 amps on my gauge....works as it should)