Wiring Mark VIII fan and DC Controller

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by hardline_42, Aug 26, 2006.

1. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just got my DC Controls fan controller in the mail today and I decided to wire it up to my Mark VIII fan (outside the car). The directions were great and everything was clear except for one thing. The DC Controller has terminals for two wires going to the fan - positive and negative. The fan has three wires coming from it - black with a red stripe (I assumed it was positive), all black (assumed negative) and a BLUE wire (2nd speed?). The installation instructions make no mention of this wire and the pics I've seen from other members who have installed the entire DC Controls package (controller and fan) only have two wires connected. What do I do with the third wire? Since the controller ramps the fan speed up progressively as required, is a 2nd speed necessary? What do I do with the leftover wire? Thanks.

Brian

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I might think the fan set has a common ground with a low speed positive lead and high speed positive lead. You need to use the high speed lead and cap the low. Damn if I know which is which. Try looking at the wiring diagram on autozone's site.

3. hardline_42

Thanks bonzo. Maybe gmachinz can shed some light if he chimes in. BTW you still need that AC stuff?

4. BonzoHansen

You didn't sell it?

5. hardline_42

Nope. I told you it was yours if you wanted it, didn't I? No faith, I tell ya!

6. BonzoHansen

I figured you forgot trying to make a carb into a throttle body and other crazy poo. Besides, once you get to know me, you'll realize I have no faith. :) Maybe come out to the next CNJ meet up on the 2nd tuesday.

7. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know which wires are which, but Bonzo is right, the wires are high speed, low speed, and ground. You only need to connect the high speed and ground wires, leave the low speed wire alone.

8. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

just thought you should know, Gmachinez isnt carrying the DC controllers anymore. Said they had a lot of problems with them.. They are now carrying Spal Controllers..

9. BonzoHansen

I heard that. But I have not heard complaints about those controllers from anyone else.

10. hardline_42

I had no idea Gmachinz wasn't carrying them anymore. Like you said Bonzo, I haven't heard any complaints from anyone else and the DC Controller is highly recommended by everyone. I guess I'll have to get in touch with Brian Baskin, or just test the wires I suppose.