Wiring Mark VIII fan and DC Controller

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by hardline_42, Aug 26, 2006.

1. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yeah, there was one member here in the BS section, looking fro Gmachinz b/c his unit burnt out.. that was the only problem I heard of so far. But I contacted him to buy one, and he said he wasnt carrying them anymore b/c of problems.. They are carrying Spal Controllers.. Operate the same way pretty much, as far as ramping up the speed.. So I bought one from him b/c I want a controller, and not use a relay wiring mess to wire up my taurus fan.. Hopefully it'll work.. After buying it, I realized if I had bought a DC direct, I would have saved some $$.. But, if it works and dont give me headaches, I dont care... lol Will post when I get it, hopefully this week.. Good luck with your DC Unit.. Could of just been that one was the bad apple.. who knows..

2. baskin

baskin New Member

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That confirms what Jabin said in another forum - it was not quality issues, but supply issues as to the reason why he stopped carrying them. Based on that exchange, I will not speculate on the supply problem.

I got mine in just over 2 weeks when I ordered right from DCC. I have yet to install. Steves74 did install his with excellent results.

4. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ah, so when he told me he was having problems with "them", he probably meant DC and not the actual product..

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not sure how different the Crown Vic fan and the Mark VIII fans are, but on my fan the low speed wire goes to a resistor in the fan shroud before the motor.

I hope that helps.

6. RS_SS350

RS_SS350 Veteran Member

i guess you can check which is high by applying power to each wire one at a time?

7. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ive acutally had nothing but problems with my delta current control, it actually caught on fire. And yes, I had it wired properly

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That's a first. I never heard that before.

9. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ordered mine direct from Brian, he even helped me select the correct parts, it came quickly, and so far it's working great. If design has changed since then, I cannot comment on that product, but my experience with what I have and with Brian was excellent.

10. blown1981z28

blown1981z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

It depends on what year your fan is. The later 97 and 98 fans no longer used the third wire. The replacment plug comes with the wire but it is not used. I believe it is just the black and red you will need.