wiring questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by nuttyprofessor, Jun 16, 2012.

1. nuttyprofessor

nuttyprofessor Veteran Member

I have installed an LS1 into my 79 camaro and have some wiring questions (yes i tired to search but can't find what i need).

What wires from the original wiring harness will i need? I know i need to connect to the starter, but how to connect to the LS1's alternator? I am using a PSI conversion standalone wiring harness and PCM and it plugs right into the back of the alternator.

The original wiring harness has the wire that would connect to the lug of the alternator and then there is a plug with 2 wires in it: Based on looking at wiring schematics, all I can tell is one goes to the voltmeter light (brown wire) and the other red wire eventually ties back into the always hot side of the battery. do I need to connect that brown wire? I have no intention of using the stock dash as i have Dakota digital and there is a feed from thePCM wiring to the voltmeter.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Let me go look at my instructions. Keep in mind the psi harness is a stand alone harness, don't compare it to the stock harness which many wires are now gone. It will just confuse you.

My first inclination, is if goes straight to a gauge, you dont need to hook it up.

3. kboxx

kboxx Veteran Member

I had a similar install with an LS2, AAW harness and Dakota Digital gauges. As was stated above, you'd be well off to just forget about the original harness. You'll find there is also duplication with between the engine computer harness, AAW and DD as well. For example, on my install, I needed to use the oil pressure sender for the engine PCM and added another oil pressure sender for the DD gauges. One thing I did which I would definitely do again is to install a whole car circuit breaker right off the battery.

http://bluesea.com/category/3/10/productline/174

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.